Hypertension

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Eric4Yeshua1337, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Eric4Yeshua1337

Eric4Yeshua1337 Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2020
    I’m bummed. I failed the DOT Physical so I have to wait until my BP is better controlled. Went on Lisinopril last week but too soon for it to take effect. I’m going to do low carb and get healthier. I know it’s not the end of the world just a speed bump. Thankfully I can do side work for money until I can try this again.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    What was your BP reading

nredfor88 Thanks this.
  4. Eric4Yeshua1337

Eric4Yeshua1337 Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2020
    160/105

5. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Look on the bright side, you’ll live longer now. Had you passed you’d probably stroke out sooner than later.

If you want some dietary advice from a 60yo with 115/80 BP I’m here for you.

Dr told me to keep doing what I’m doing..so…I eat once a day anything and as much as I want. I chain smoke and drink a couple gallons of coffee a day. I only drink water when I’m thirsty.

Perfect health and a “swimmer’s body” :)

For all you fatties, the whole 3 meals a day rhetoric is a government sponsored crock of poop.

6. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Be careful with Lisinopril, you most likely develop a dry hacking cough. I did, switched to Losotarine(sp) and the cough went away. Nearly every Doctor starts patients on Linsinopril( must something they teach on med school on how punish your patients, while having their hand on your wallet).

7. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Great advice....

8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

How close were you to the 140/90 BP limit? Lisinopril is very effective and safe. It's most common side-effect is a dry cough. In many cases that cough can be treated by lowering the dose. I'd suggest you go on a no-carb diet and drink nothing but water while you lose weight. Weight loss is one of the most effective and quickest ways to reduce blood pressure. Also, no more caffeine or salt until your BP is under control. Water only for drinking.

BTW, in the doctor's office they are supposed to give you AT LEAST 5 minutes of undisturbed peace and no talking to get an accurate BP measurement. At most offices they will be have you answering questions, signing forms, moving from here to there, etc and then immediately measure your BP. You can and should insist on AT LEAST 5 minutes of resting and relaxing before the BP measurement.

There are some isometric exercises on YouTube that will produce an immediate and temporary BP drop if you BP is somewhere near the 140/90 borderline. There are also breathing exercises you can do just before the BP measurement. Also, White Coat Syndrome is a recognized thing in medicine, meaning just having your BP measured by a doctor or nurse (white coat) causes anxiety and elevated BP, if your BP is borderline sometimes they will deduct a couple points or give you more time to rest before recording your BP.

If you are on BP medication you will automatically get a 1 year medical card. Few, if any, companies won't hire you for having a 1 year card. It would be best to get a 2 year medical card, but it is OK to have a 1 year card and have your BP under control by medication. A 1 year card is almost not a negative at all, it's just an inconvenience.

9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Hang in there. You've put a lot of work into getting this far and you've made good progress. Let us know how things turn out for you.

10. M22 rockcrusher

M22 rockcrusher Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2020
    Same thing happened to me went in a month early to get my DOT physical out of the way. Didn't pass got a three month certification .high BP and a irregular heart rate. Went straight to primary care doc said yep irregular heart beat referred to cardiologist did stress test irregular heart beat went away in stress test. Did cardiogram showed all valves working good. So I'm lisinopril 20mg lipator 20mg but I'm not taking that lipator that crapp is dangerous IMO doc said I probably only get one year certification for the next couple of years. But I feel good....worse part for me is I'm in-between jobs so it was all cash pay. Don't know if a company will even hire me now haven't tried applying anywhere yet.

Eric4Yeshua1337 Thanks this.
  11. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Start eating bananas.They got a lot of potassium.
    Potassium reduces the effect of sodium on the body. Hence, eating bananas lower blood pressure due to their high potassium content. You can try eating 2 bananas per day for one week which may reduce your blood pressure by around 10%.

i don’t like them, but about a month before you do your physical start eating one in morning and one at evening.

Mine yesterday was 118/79 at physical.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.