I’m a new driver and I’m startled by the mountains

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Backendboyz, May 15, 2023.

1. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Ask some of your ol timeers bout 40/48 before 68 was built...it’s just a walk in the park today;)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

less talented and capable drivers than you run out west all of the time. You can learn what they learned and be as safe as any other driver. You just have less room for not paying attention than when crossing the plains. If you can drive in rush hour traffic you can drive out West.

4. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    Arkansas ain't just I-40.
    I-30W from Little Rock to Texarkana, for instance, as well Rt. 67, both ways from Little Rock.
    Rt or I-49 from Fort Smith was fun when I did it ONCE to the wail mart D.C. in Fayetteville, then I went East thru "the woods" BAD IDEA, ONCE.
    I-30, X 106, Military Road Truck Stop. Multi functional truck stop. Interesting place with festival parking.
    I didn't discover the food at the restaurant.
    X-63 sorta like 106 but smaller. Restaurant was avoidable.

Last time I rolled I-30 From/To Little Rock was early/mid 2017.
    CHEERS!!

dave01282000 Thanks this.
  5. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    NICE !! i can almost guess the area in all those pics. wheres the one at with the waterfall? used to see alot of waterfalls during springtime in snoqualmie with the snow melting off the cliffs.. always thought it was the coolest thing ever

6. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Wolf Creek Pass 2 weeks ago

And
    138 in Oregon up towards Crater Lake January,
    Chief Joseph Pass mid April,
    And Hwy 200 in Montana March

I'll add a nice November Snoqualmie summit to coax those interested. Lots to see out there 20221111_155803.jpg

MACK E-6, D.Tibbitt and Siinman Thank this.
  7. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Mountains are made to be conquered,
    Slow and easy.
    Tip. Hardhats don’t help.

Big Road Skateboard and Siinman Thank this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That looks like something out of a Conan movie.

Big Road Skateboard Thanks this.
  9. seagreg

seagreg Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2019
    The problem with Cabbage is that in the winter it is more likely to have a section that is icy where Parleys has snow that isn't as wet.

Parleys West bound sometimes tricks drivers with the second steep section. But 84 to Ogden only adds 15min most days so it also has a good bypass if desired and is typically more fuel efficient anyways.

More trucks have problems in the curves between Wanship and Silver Junction, ignoring the reduced speed limit with the curve near the promontory exit taking out many more trucks than Parleys.

Fighting complacency, slowing down and being mindful of brake fade is all that is required.

If you are riding your brakes downshift ASAP,!

Also try turning on your engine fan, often it is just enough to let you stay off the brakes.

I went down Parleys dozens of times last week at about 72k and rarely had to use my brakes at all due to proper gear choice and the engine brakes in a 10 speed with a series 60 which is far from optimal at close to the speed limit.

Getthereitus and/or inattention is what will kill you.

10. seagreg

seagreg Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2019
    10% grade, switch backs and 15mph speed limits are far harder than anything on the interstate systems.

PXL_20220816_214818577~2.jpg

11. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Practice on some of those hills in the southeast. They aren't the same as mountain grades, but will help you learn your equipment. It's nice (especially in a governed truck) to let the Georgia Overdrive help your speed, but isn't always the best idea.

PS. What is it with us morons taking pictures in bad weather?

PPS. Arkansas has some back roads that will throw a wrench in the works quick, if you aren't paying attention.

MACK E-6 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.