I70 Eisenhower smoke fest

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by QuietStorm, Jun 29, 2019.

1. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Why is it that so many people can't go through here without polluting the air with their fiery brake smoke?

I don't normally post crap like this but seriously, I was heading eastbound and not a mile from the tunnel FedEx was smoking his trailer brakes going westbound. Flash forward I'm on the other side while empty, going down at the speed limit which varies from 65 to 45, and here comes supertrucker Crete with a load that thought he was going to follow me the whole way because everyone else was going to slow.

Once we get towards the bottom of the first grade, he's still behind me with all axles smoking white. I let him pass me so I dont get ran into, and as soon as he passes me here comes the black smoke and red glow from under his truck. He managed to pull over without burning down,but that's besides the point.

Why can't people handle a #### grade, it's not like they had a mechanical malfunction like that guy who killed a bunch of people, they just choose to be a ####ing idiot. I'm hoping for some re-regulation in this industry to prevent ######### from being on the road with us.

magoo68, Dave_in_AZ, stwik and 9 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Especially with an automatic transmission there is no reason to be smoking ur breaks anymore. I could see why companies use them becsuse they are about as close to idiot proof as u can get but obviously still not quite there.. Ive never had a break fire but i would think pulling over would be a bad idea, i always thought if that happened to me i would ride it out , wouldnt the air blowing by eventually kill the fire or would it add to it?

4. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    With technology on newer trucks and the fact that almost every truck anymore has a good jake, I don’t get it either. Almost have to go out of your way in some cases to screw it up...

bzinger, MACK E-6, stwik and 8 others Thank this.
  5. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Crete’s truck probably decided that it wanted to go into eco drive and coast down the hill in neutral.

Cat sdp, Dave_in_AZ, MACK E-6 and 11 others Thank this.
  6. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    I have a suspicion there are a lot of drivers out here that have never been taught how to use a Jake brake. What really drives me nuts is some of the mountain passes they give you a speed limit for going down a grade and it is assuming that I’m driving something from 1985 that doesn’t have a Jake break. One pass in Montana insists I do 25mph when I could safely do 60.

MACK E-6, Tb0n3, Lepton1 and 8 others Thank this.
  7. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    They're not using their engine brakes. Just plain stupid.
    I used to take a Volvo back and forth on I70. Loaded one way. Empty the other.
    Loaded I used the brakes minimally. Empty, I could go from Eisenhower, to Denver and hardly use the brakes at all. It reminded me of playing a piano duet with a partner who really knew what he was doing. Sheer pleasure.
    These people don't realize. The more they use their brakes. The hotter they get.

On that Volvo. I hit the engine brake hard once. That thing shifted and upped the rpm to 2900 and braked hard. This Pete starts crying out that the engine is over revved at 2000.

8. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    On 470 coming out of Ohio into Wheeling today. Old century class barely moving up the hill. Come down the big hill past the ballfields he takes off and is riding the brakes. Smoke billowing. I’m at 78,000. Never touched mine. Just another airheaded driver.

Hmmmm. Is it airhead driver or airheaded driver?
    :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

9. GypsyWanderlust

GypsyWanderlust Medium Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I’m guessing it is part training, and part stupidity. Auto trucks like to upshift where there is little engine braking action.

If you are new and were never properly trained here is how you go down a grade:

Slow to the proper down hill speed before you start down and use the manual gear mode. If you went up in 8 you probably need that to go down or lower depending on conditions and grade.

Turn the jake on and select the full position. Modulate the amount of jake as you go down to keep RPM around 1500-1600. If your RPM is going past 1600 with full engine brake your gear is too high. Read the signs! If it says 35 MPH you need to gear down to 7.

If it is wet or snowing you don’t want to use much or any jake or you could lose traction and jack knife. This means you must go much slower. Don’t use jakes in a turn if it is slippery.

Too slow and you’ll lose at most a few minutes on your trip. Too fast, you and other drivers sharing the road may not make it home.

**These are examples only. Your transmission or weights and conditions may require a lower gear to stay off the brakes.

Here is a link to a flat land driver that didn’t make it home.

https://cdllife.com/2018/trucker-killed-after-plunging-more-than-100-feet-off-wolf-creek-pass/

Drive safely!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  10. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    Duh everyone knows the proper time to use the jake is when you hit the truckstop exit ramp with your 8 inch straight stacks!

11. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Your brakes would eventually cool off if you stopped using them as long as they weren't already on fire. Stopping is only what you do if you're on fire or are about to go down another grade or something.

FlaSwampRat and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.