IFTA taxes

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by mi38, Aug 27, 2016.

1. mi38

mi38 Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2014
    We will be keeping our own plates not using Mercer's. I understand we will have to keep track of miles fuel etc to do our own taxes. If I have understood this correctly I need to know how any of you are doing it. In the past the company we were leased to provided the state numbers each quarter.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    I think the answer would be maybe zero. Until recently Mercer would let you keep your tag and run it til expired and then run theirs. The option wás given recently to run your own but you were responsible for ifta taxes. I have run theirs for soon to be 6 years. They pay any ifta taxes due, not deduct and pay , but actually pay. If you have a credit they apply it to next year's tag. I don't know anyone who has their own tag here.

RStewart Thanks this.
  4. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    I.met one guy who does. One out of fifty that I have met.

RStewart Thanks this.
  5. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    I don't see any benefit to running one's own plate other than if you leave a carrier you leave with a plate. Using Mercer's plate is the best deal I've seen.

@mi38, I was in no way saying that you shouldn't use your own plates. I'm not going to tell someone how to run their business.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    mi38 Thanks this.
  6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    You will have to apply for your own ifta account and stickers. Then track your miles and fuel purchades for each individual state and file quarterly. Retain records for 7 years. You will get an ifta fuel audit and if they find any bad practices they will fine you heavy. They are as bad as the irs. Maybe worse.

RStewart Thanks this.
  7. mi38

mi38 Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2014

8. mi38

mi38 Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Thank you very much
    Now that I know all of this we will not be keeping our own plates. This is exactly what I needed to know.

RStewart Thanks this.
  9. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    The argument about leaving a company and not having a plate is one of the few valid reasons to run your own plate. But unless your a complete ### and burn all the bridges between you and Mercer. I think one could maneuver a transition rather easy. It has been done countless times.

Mercers program works to good to deal with the hassle of your own plate. Just my opinion.

RStewart Thanks this.
  10. Driverdad

Driverdad Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2015
    @mtoo
    I agree , but one should not fear having no plate . It's easy enough to get 15 or 30 day insurance . I drove with no plates from northern Michigan to Louisville no problem . Even went thru a scale house no one said a thing .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.