I'm baaaaaack!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Captain Zoom, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Captain Zoom

Captain Zoom Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Room dawg got here. Guess I don't get a room alone--oh well. Got a text from recruiter checking in on me. Nice to have a final check. I think there's only a few of us going through orientation, which would be a massive improvement from certain other orientations I've been through with several dozen drivers being herded through like cattle. Especially with medical examiners seemingly there only to thin the herd. This is good night, folks; I'll update again tomorrow after I get back to the room.

--Yr Fthfl Srvnt

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Swedish Chef

Swedish Chef Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Haha captain zoooooom, this thread is hilarious. Consider me a subscriber. Good luck with your orientation!

mitrucker Thanks this.
  4. NYSuperTrucker

NYSuperTrucker Light Load Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Twin Cities MN
    Good thread! Enjoying it....funny interaction at Culver's....I love the place, but tend to stay away on weekends, haha.

5. OriginalBigfoot

OriginalBigfoot Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Well this company won't accept my C-Pap!! OMG! Never ending problems!!

6. Captain Zoom

Oct 29, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Well, that about wraps it up for Day 1. I passed my physical with flying colors.

Here's a recap of the day:

Nice deluxe continental breakfast. The usual fluff (muffins, toast, coffee) but they also had scrambled eggs, bacon, biscuits, and gravy so there's a hot breakfast available that isn't just carbs and sugar.

Shuttle left 0730 sharp. When we got to Gordon, they got us into a room, talked a little about drugs (DON'T DO 'EM, WE'LL CATCH YOU) and alcohol (8HRS MINIMUM BOTTLE TO THROTTLE, ZERO TOLERANCE), neither of which concerns me that much since I don't do either. I didn't know I could get in trouble for having Listerine or Nyquil in the truck though, so I learned something. Did the standard newbie paperwork. Brief overview of benefits but we got packets to go over tonight and tomorrow night; they need signed and turned in by Wed. We watched a short video about sexual harassment (KEEP 'EM TO YOURSELVES, LADIES; I'M SPOKEN FOR) and a Subway box lunch arrived around 1130 (they took our orders first).

Got to the clinic for drug screening/DOT physicals. (It should be noted we had to lift a 75-lb weight before we left the terminal. It is set up like a barbell with the bar about a foot and a half off the floor. No sweat, just deadlift and set it back down.) Medical history paperwork, sit and wait. Eye tests, height/weight, pee in cup, go to exam room, shave a little hair off chest, strip down to skivvies and put on these adorable little blue shorts, wait for doctor. He was fairly thorough but quite efficient. They shaved a two inch square of my (ample) chest hair for drug testing and I should be okay. Some blood in my pee but with my pet rock (kidney stone) that's to be expected.

I checked out and waited for the other two guys riding the shuttle, got back to the hotel, and now I'm chillin' but not before scooting over to Culver's and ordering a bacon butterburger deluxe, small fries, and medium diet Root Beer (ambrosia).

All in all, I think we spent more time at the clinic than the terminal today.

It looks like we're losing one guy but only for a little while--his CPAP is too old to give a readout and Gordon wants 70% compliance over 30 days. With no way to verify, he can't start yet but he's going to get a new machine and use it for a month then come back--which should tell you a little something about how we are being treated here, as it would be much simpler for him to accept a local job he has already been approved to drive on. I think he said Gordon even offered to pay for the new machine.

I'm looking forward to getting started as these guys seem to be a straightforward bunch who are on the driver's side when it comes to matters of safety. (As long as the driver has been doing his job--I have no problem with that)

Tomorrow is supposed to be another short day. Then Wed everything comes together and we're supposed to get our truck assignments and first dispatches. Assuming nothing holds us up. I'm hoping to run Thursday through Saturday and turn in those miles; I could really use the money. Really really hoping to at least get a truck assignment so my wife can join me. We'll see.

Well, that's it in a nutshell--not a bad Monday as Mondays go. I'll update you again tomorrow evening unless the muse strikes tonight sometime (or I want to climb back on my soap box).

I am Captain Zoom.
    I have spoken.

7. Captain Zoom

Oct 29, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Before you ask, trucks are governed at 63mph, there is a no-pets policy with zero tolerance, the trucks have Tri-Pacs on them with 1500W inverters, you can take the trucks home but have to confirm permission to park because if it is towed you will be stuck with the bill, and professional wrestling is fake.

8. Captain Zoom

Oct 29, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    This post intentionally left blank.

BlueGenie8476 and Rocks Thank this.
  9. 1catfish

1catfish Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2010
  10. OriginalBigfoot

OriginalBigfoot Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    How was that sandwich Cap?? ;-)
    Yes, while you guys so rudely tried to leave me behind today :) I was talking to the director. He was very upfront, very apologetic, and even locked in the job with a few extra perks. While I was on the flight home, my wife found a CPAP I can RENT from Apria, so that looks like a done deal, and interesting enough, a temp agency (manpower) near my home is advertising for class A drivers. So things are still on plan for coming back to Gordon on Feb 1st or 2nd. All in all, I got a very good feeling about the people working there and the company as a whole today... Good luck Cap! I HOPE the drug tests get back in time for a weekend load for you...

double yellow Thanks this.
  11. Captain Zoom

Oct 29, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks Bigfoot. I wasn't worried about you coming back (reference my wrapup of Day 1) but I'm glad things are smoothing the road back here for you.

About that sub, one word--Sandwichgasm.

Look me up when you get back; until then, I'll see you around the forum.

OriginalBigfoot Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.