Interviewing with OD

Discussion in 'Old Dominion' started by Hawks12, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Hawks12

Hawks12 Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Hello,
    I am a recent CDL school grad in the Seattle area that has been applying at various companies. I recently did an in-house interview (~30 min talk with one person) at the Seattle OD terminal for a city P/D position. I did a drug test, a drive test (which they said I was fine) and filled out a 30 question sheet about typical work situations. My driving and work history is clean and good. So far, so good it seems...just have to finalize my hazmat endorsement hopefully this week and they said they would move to the next step...

I had a few questions thought I'd check if anyone had further feedback...

They mentioned for the city P&D position, I would first be on "extra board" before going to a full position. I'm sure all terminals are different, but is there a pay range one might make first year on extra board? 40-50Kish? Would it still be better than your typical first year OTR position?

-- City P&D daily activity -- They mentioned you will be delivering and picking up. Is the daily activity pretty physically grinding? I would like something that moves me around and would like some physical activity, but probably not to the extent of say a McLane where you're hand carting everything off into 7/11 stores all day. Does the receiving customer typically move the freight off, or does the OD driver do all of the off loading? Or both?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. OD looks like a GREAT company...just want to make sure it's a good fit for my first year!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2014
    blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    First off. Congratulations. This is a great company.

Hang in there, no matter what. It'll be 10 times better than any of the typical OTR outfits you could have gone to. Benefits, wages . . . the list goes on.

We're team, so I have limited knowledge of p and d. Someone will give you more information.

Less demanding than food service, will definitely get you around and active, lots of pickups and drops, . . . customers will likely help with some of the load/ unload.

If you don't like it - stick it out and transfer to a line haul position, if you like the driving better.

We've been here 7 years, last company we will ever work for.

Sorry couldn't help you out more.

I'm gonna guess $22-$25 start . . . Gross 50k/year . . . Just off of what our hourly is.

4. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Most clinics seem to have embraced a questionnaire for sleep apnea. If you select more than 2 then you have to go for the test. If they give you the sheet.....select your BMI is high & nothing else. Worked for my wife.

knuckledragger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.