iPhone battery drain

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by tucker, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    It's. Less than a year old. Reset it bout 6 months ago

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rrts247

Rrts247 Light Load Member

Feb 12, 2017
    You should be powering it down once a day, and close your open apps. Fuelbook or truckerpath will keep your location data open as you go down the road. Double click the home button and swipe them to close them.

NavigatorWife and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  4. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Hold the power button and swipe it off and leave it off for like 2 minutes. Turn it back on and it should help it. Mine does that every once in awhile too. The ATT chick told me that’s a “soft reset” and every so often it gets kinda jammed up and needs to straighten itself out. You’re supposed to do them once a week but I just do it whenever I notice my battery life dropping like a prom dress.

NavigatorWife and Ruthless Thank this.
  5. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Already do close all apps soon a second I'm not using them. Location is shutoff for every app, except the ones that actually need it, and those are set to only use it when I have those apps open.

I don't tend to power down every day. I'm start doing that more often.

cke Thanks this.
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I do love all the useless crap a new phone comes with. I delete most of that.

7. Rrts247

Feb 12, 2017
    Another thing you can do is clear out your browsing history, then go over to settings >safari>Clear history and website data then go to advanced and manually clear website data. Sometimes there is something running in the background, mainly google or Facebook location data.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  8. Rrts247

Feb 12, 2017
    Make sure your battery percentage is off, don’t plug it in until it absolutely needs it, unplug it when it’s charged. I have 7plus, charge it once every other day depending on how I use it.

9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    You have to be careful about updating apps and staying on top of what apps are doing in the background and even when they are not loaded. TA/Petro used to default to keeping location services running AT ALL TIMES, maybe they still do. I deleted the app when I found it was more trouble than it was worth. But there are other apps that are poorly coded. Apple doesn't test new apps and updates for efficiency like they used to but they're still leap years better than Google and their hap-hazard way of allowing developers to publish crap apps.

Chances are, you have an app or two that are the problem. Also, be aware, that an app update, will cause most of them to revert to their default unwanted behavior.

But I'm still running an old 5s and still have the original battery and have no issues, so maybe it's a new hardware issue, but I doubt it. But I run a very lean phone with little BS and actively work to keep from accumulating a lot of background apps. Truckers tend to deal a lot with location-sensitive apps, and location services is hard on the battery, especially if they run all the time or always when running.

Also, clear out (delete) any/all apps you don't use at least once a week, and after cleaning up your phone, checking the location services setting for all remaining apps to insure they are all set accordingly, power off and restart.

Daily or so, stop any apps (unload) that you no longer need. In fact get it all the way down to where NOTHING else is loaded. At this point, might even be a good idea to cycle power to flush out any bad lingering behavior until you figure where your problem lies. You'll eventually find the problem app by trial and error.

I'll be upgrading to a newer iPhone soon and may find similar issues, but Apple will correct the problem if it's in their hardware or their core iOS, but like I said, my money would be on a troublesome third party app that needs to be dealt with.

10. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    That's true...I still use a Note 4, because it allows me to tether it to a blueray player w/FoxFi...my wife's Note 8 is sealed and glass coated...

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Not only that. But now you get useless messages about apps you should have.

If i wanted it. I'd have it. Why is it so hard to let the CONSUMER decide what they want?????

Sometimes you get to the point when you just don't really care to have a phone.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.