Is anyone else having any problems with Knight?

Discussion in 'Knight' started by am99gt, May 5, 2007.

1. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA

Well thats kind of a no brainer since most of their office people have never drove a truck and most are strait out of college with degrees in marketing, public relations.

Knight, like most OTR company's sees their drivers as a tool to get the job done and by their recent pay cut they certainly see that tool as easily interchangeable regardless of their treatment of the drivers.

That's just not the case anymore with Knight. That was the past but now they have done what some others have done and expanded their driver training pool.

Instead of paying good drivers what they are worth, they have cut pay and will depend on filling their seats with drivers who do not know any better and are new to the industry.

Many veteran drivers where once idealist like you but the fact remains that everything I have seen this company do recently with Idle restrictions without alternatives, pay cuts, the lack of driver support after business hours etc.. tells me they are not very driver friendly.

No company in today's market should need to train drivers to fill the seats if they are a good company to work for.

If all it took to be successful in trucking was hard work and a good attitude, I would still be driving OTR. It takes lots of luck and a wiliness to suffer also.

Now days I know what I will make for the day week and month before I step into a cab of a truck. I don't have to kiss some strangers butt in hopes they will send enough work my way to pay the bills. I don't have to swelter in the heat nor freeze in the cold so someone else can go home and turn up the A/C or heat. And I don't have give up time with friends and family so someone else can have more.

Driving OTR was fun for awhile but with all the new rules and restriction placed on the driver and the new ones coming down the pike I see it as a meat grinder occupation of last resort and or desperation.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    The reason I wasn't "let go" was because I'm a good driver. The IDF term mng didn't want the company to lose a hard working driver so he arranged for me to switch terminals.

Well the switch is done. I'm now out of Memphis. I got a PB 389, nice truck. it looks like this well be a good move. Memphis is know for it's high miles.

4. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    I have run 70,000 miles for them this year. That's 2500 miles per week and home most weekends. The deal killer for me is going to be the APU issue. Idle all you want but the top speed is based on the idle percentage. Don't think I like to idle the truck but it's going to be idled at 85 degrees or up when sleeping. This is their way of cutting costs via driver retention and that is a shame.

Also the scrutinizing the pay is getting old. They always fix the problem AFTER a call to payroll and you can hear in their undertone they think the practice of "skimming" driver reimbursements is unethical as well but they fix the problem. All of the people in payroll are very nice and helpfull and I would recomend pointing out the error and avoiding the small talk as their just doing their jobs as well. Just go over your pay weekly and make sure your getting all tolls and scales reimbursed. A driver told me that they will not reimburse you on a scale if you don't go to line 4. I don't know as I rarely scale.

I do enjoy my time here for the most part but from listening to other drivers I can tell that some of my success here is due to my DM enjoying his job.

5. 3.14

3.14 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Arizona
    i've never had any issues getting my PO's for layover, detention, and driver unloads. a simple phone call and qualcomm message does wonders.

current gripe right now is how long a certain terminal is taking to replace the bumper of my truck after an animal collision last thursday during the early morning hours. i also got b--ched at earlier today for idling the truck. #### thing can't seem to NOT beep whenever i have my laptop plugged into a 200 watt inverter.

i wish i could have been in the seattle area for 4th of july. it would have been much, much better than where i am right now.

6. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Smack Old Man George in his dome. Did they get the AC fixed in the driver's area?

7. 3.14

3.14 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Arizona
    AC to which driver's area?

8. brianc20

brianc20 Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2008
    burlington vt
    i have been thinking about going them also could you let me know soon my job now is starting to go under!!!!

9. Chiggerdo

Chiggerdo Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Priddy Texas
    Going to orientation Tuesday 07/28/09 at Hutchings TX.. The recruiter told me that the position I signed up for has a sliding scale from .31 to .40 cents. Depending on the length of the run. They didn't say anything about per Diem. The way I will work is on 2 weeks and off 1 week. Was I being lied to?

10. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    About what?

I've heard about "blackjack" before, but it's closer to 3/1 from what the guys on it say.

11. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    What's blackjack ? Some kind of 3 days out 1 day at home type of thing ? Or 3 weeks out and one week home ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.