Is it just me or are young adults under the age of 25 just plain lazy?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Trucks66, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Flint1

Flint1 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Alberta
    You speak absolute truth. When I was at the mine I was flat rate! My pay reflected the work I completed. I used to hear "your making us look bad doing all that work"
    Umm, no, you have that backwards.
    Then they would try and throw up roadblocks to slow me down. That would make me stabby..
    It took awhile but for the last decade I was there everyone knew to stay out of my way and leave me alone.
    Was a great job.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    The government school systems while the parents weren't paying attention. I'm at the older boundary of Gen X, so have a steel reinforced belt and no trophy case.

4. Plantfoam

Plantfoam Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2015
    DFW
    "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
    -Socrates

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    One fella mentioned to me you only had to work 5% harder than the laziest person on site. Another guy piped up and asked him how that works when you're the laziest one there? Shut him up quick.

6. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    I told my boomer dad in his final years “You remember when you used to physically discipline us and occasionally forgot to open your fist? You should have done that more often.”

InTooDeep, Tug Toy, jamespmack and 4 others Thank this.
  7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Winner. If your primary education came from a school, your parents failed you. Schools are not expected to teach the things that would benefit the most, like
    -manners
    -responsibility
    -work ethic

8. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I blame the Boomers. They were the lazy ones.
    As the oldest of the millennials, I'm fortunate in that I had a decent childhood, free of electronics and the stuff created by the Boomers that make life 'easier'. That stuff just started to become common while I was a teen. It's ironic that I'm writing this on a smart phone

Some of the boomers spent their lives trying to get out of working as their parents did. It is very apparent today as we see how the boomer politicians have handled (and still handle) the government and the finances of the country. And they're STILL doing it. Look at how they've left the roads and bridges crumble apart while wasting money on studying stupid thing that have zero to do with anything. Or fighting wars in places that most can't even locate on a map.

I can't speak for everyone else my age, but once I hit a certain age and started to look at the bigger picture of life, I realized that my generation and those that come after are screwed by the actions of the previous two generations.

So you older folks call us lazy. Well, we're living as we were taught. And now we're left to pay for the older generations laziness. And for some, like myself, it pisses us off that we're expected to carry the ridiculous load we have placed on us. WE are left to foot the bill for literally everything that you older folks are now enjoying. And YOU created most of this crap, knowing that you would be the beneficiaries of it all.

Millennials aren't all lazy, but I'd bet we're all pissed off at the cards we've been dealt

9. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    That ain't just kids under 25. There are a large number of folks much older, with obligations, that have the same type of work ethic. There are young kids with good work ethic. It ain't fair to paint all of them with one brush. The young man was on his phone talking to his girlfriend or whomever til late. That right there,, is the reason driver retention is an issue. They get to missing home too much, and work away from home ain't his focus. The opportunity to make good, easy money sounds good until he got out here and saw what it really was.. Simply put, trucking ain't for that young man.

jason6541, brsims, Shackdaddy and 7 others Thank this.
  10. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    We are going through a time called The Great Resignation. People have adjusted their lifestyle to 'free' government stimulus checks and bonuses. Why work when everything is provided for you? Plus if you have say $100k in student loans, there is a better chance of not having to pay it back if you can show you don't have a job. Part of it is that pay has stagnated over the decades. The anti-union juggernaut has won and proven that when the Man has all the control, he will keep pay rock bottom. The working class has lost the union organizing knowledge plus with the advent of mass information technology and mind control, people have been programmed to believe unions are bad. So therefore you have a couple of generations who have lost their work ethic and drive for success.

11. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    At age 17 I bought my own pickup truck for $1,000. 1999 F150 with 264,000 miles on it. Drove it to high school every day and went to work after lunch on the co-op (work release) program my school had. Turned wrenches on cars making $7/hr until I graduated. Band-aided the truck together until I had enough money to buy my '03. It only had 226,000 miles on it.

Ran heavy equipment for a small landscaping company after I graduated, still cut grass and plowed driveways on the side. Never made enough money to save up a nest egg, lived paycheck to paycheck my whole youth. Never asked my parents for money.

At age 20 I took out a personal loan for $3,140.00 for the act 120 municipal police academy. Attended that for 11 months and worked 11p-7a at a power plant as a guard. Graduated that, rented a house, worked as an LEO for 4 years.

Got into trucking at age 25 and am now 27. I own a house (well the bank does) own a 2014 pickup with less than 80k on it (well the bank does), have 2 quads, a daughter, and a savings account.

I don't want to hear about the young generations complaining about everything and being lazy because every "seasoned" trucker I've talked to does nothing but complain. They could win the lottery and complain about having to go pick up their winnings. You only see the young people that do complain, you never see the millions of us that shut up and do our jobs day after day.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.