Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JNM90, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Not great BUT what happens if you jump and things don’t work out? You’ll have less than a year of experience and 2 jobs in ~6 months. With your baggage you’ll have limited options, most worse than what you’ve got now.

Plan b - you finish your year, you’re off paper and your accident is a year older. I guarantee you’ll have better options. Even if your next job doesn’t work out you can take a bogie (or two) and still be competitive.

rachi and JNM90 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Do you get to see what each load pays? 30% isn't bad, on a decent paying load.

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. Schnoodledorfer

Schnoodledorfer Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2020
    I don't know if the OP is still here, but one thing I've been wondering about is how 28% of the gross winds up being only $12 or $14 per hour. Those loads just don't pay much? The driver has to spend a lot of time doing things other than driving?

Since the loads are wheat mids, I'm guessing this might be a very rural area with a low cost of living and maybe that's just a type of trucking that doesn't pay well. If the only trucking jobs in the area are agricultural, you might have to look more into OTR jobs if you want higher pay, but of course that's an entirely different lifestyle.

6. sventvkg

sventvkg Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2017
    You need to net $1500 a week for 1099 to be worth it in my opinion of someone who has run his own business for over 30 years. This is what i'm looking to make at a 1099 truck company running precentage of load. FOR ME, any less isn't worth being gone.

rachi Thanks this.
  7. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Good advice.

JNM90 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs