is local worth it ?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by thundercat02, Oct 10, 2012.

1. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    YRC, Conway Freight, FedEx Freight, Old Dominion, UPS, Estenson Logistics, MTS, and ABF. Those are all I can think of off the top of my head.

FEELTHEWHEEL Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Hey, you know what. I am happy that people like you can get hooked up with a good OTR carrier. It shows that there are a lot of good companies out there that take care of their own. As for me, I am happy being LTL. I am a linedriver as well. I do work the nightshift, which limits my social life. I work Tuesday thru Saturdays, and get two days off plus holidays. Usually 8 to 10 hour days so I do get a little bit more than my usual 10 hour shift reset.

4. RAGE 18

RAGE 18 Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2011
    GOLD£N☆STAT£
    Big city local, no thanks keep it. LTL line or milk hauls local out here in Cen Cal is what im looking forward to. Ruan, Superior n Melton are big with milk hauls dont mind gettin dirty n its all good ol country back roads. The LTL sounds good too, get to base get ur load assingment, hook up head down, drop off trailers, get a momo, sleep, n head north repeat, go home then repeat weekends off n top pay sound good to me, Old Dominion is who im going for on this one.

5. thundercat02

thundercat02 Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2011
    buffalo ny
    Yep just remember company I like may not be what driver a,b or c may like cause everyone likes different things like the old times that been out here for 30-40 years its all they know and they still love it , heck are senior driver are company is 78 and still driving like a young buck so what does that say

6. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    I would never work local ever again unless I was going hungry. That is not trucking to me. I'm in line haul right now and I still like a good dedicated OTR job better.

7. NYROADIE

NYROADIE Heavy Load Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Rochester NY
    I do an out and back type run with my stop being here in my home town. From start to finish it takes between 11 & 12 hrs and that's from my door step back to my front porch. I do this 5 nights a week and have weekends off. I make as much or more than I did OTR and I have set hrs, nobody messes with me, and my load is almost always ready and waiting at 2100, The only time I sleep in the truck is for naps, I know the guys at both ends and get along with them. I've done this for 5 years now and couldn't amagine going back to OTR! I protect this account and have been known to call my company and give them he!! when my truck was down and the fill in driver didn't show.
    So in a nut shell, is local worth it ? It sure can be!

8. Colorato

Colorato Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2011
    I run P&D and only make about $10 a week less than when I ran regional. Its nice being able to plan my time off. Not a hugh fan of running nights and yes doing the same run gets boring pretty quickly but I see my kids everyday even if its just for a few hours.

Just waiting for a day run here or elsewhere.

FEELTHEWHEEL and Marksteven Thank this.
  9. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

that says he wasnt smart enough to save for retirement....lol

American Trucker

10. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    I'm a local bulk hauler, home every night. And it is true that some nights are kinda short . But I never wait for a shower or a meal. And I know my parking place will be waiting for me.

FEELTHEWHEEL and Marksteven Thank this.
  11. thundercat02

thundercat02 Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2011
    buffalo ny
    yea i kinda see a pattern seems like most guys like to to p&d of some sorta of like a regional in a way not local home every day anyway. i can be home everynight if i want but im really home every other night or gone all week depending on what i feel like doing that week. so i have many options really most of time im gone a couple days come home and keep going like that. American trucker i thought you drove otr ? didnt i read a thread of you going to work for lonestar that you seemed to be really happy and made good money with or am i thinking of someone else seemed like a really good company and i would of considered them if i didnt have a kid on the way. but you have to stay out 2 weeks or so with them i just thought you were really happy there they seemed to take care of there drivers ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.