Is O/O A Good Idea Soon...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by KaoMinerva, Sep 23, 2022.

1. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    For someone who is not an O/O - that is a very honest breakdown, and something I'm sure a lot of guys don't consider going in.

To answer the question - yes he could, whether he can or not solely depends on himself.

Banker, MaineRoad96 and Jed2009 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    A few reasons. Remember we were a team. In ranking order -

1. We had paid almost all our debt off on house, vehicles and 4 rentals. We were financially ready.
    2. We felt we were bringing more to the job than we were being compensated for.
    3. Gretchen had reached the end of her rope after ten years driving.
    4. I needed a challenge - simply driving was pretty boring.
    @Banker is similar to me in the respect that we came from high paying jobs. That sets the benchmark. If I can't make what I was O/O as I did at the company job - then it was a sideways move or a step down.

I like these threads. They resemble the first 2 pages of my own - about a 70/30 ratio of yes/no.

You're in a different position - well, that's a moot statement really, we are ALL in different situations. I like the fact you've been on here for a few years, not just the regular one post wonder that asks the question.

If you want my advice, it would be to throw everything at the mortgage and the Vette - till it's gone. If you can't wait for that, sell the car and clear the mortgage. Your truck will become your new 'girlfriend in the driveway'.

Save up as much as you can. Plan on what you want to do. Ideally you want that first truck paid in cash, and finance a trailer. And that's about as risky as we were willing to go.

Ultimately $$ shouldn't be the primary motivator.

Hope the 3 cents helps.

PapaJoe, MaineRoad96, Banker and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    A truck dealer/ salesman gave me some of the best advice ever......
    "Ask yourself where you want to be 5 years from now and move towards it."

Frankly, right now is not a good time. As Blair said, get your financials straight first. That will give you enough time to prepare and you'll be grateful later.

Good luck.

5. Jed2009

Jed2009 Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2020
    Midwest
    OP - My opinion is that one should never become an OO to make more money. If you’re doing it for more money it’s just the wrong reason. Especially in your situation - you’re making great salary and great benefits, especially paying only $1,400 a year for health and getting a minimum $7,000 match on your 401k (I’m assuming you’re at least getting that match). Among other benefits.

The main reason for wanting the OO life should be the intangible - the freedom of your own business and not answering to anyone but yourself. The pride of knowing you’re running your own truck and delivering a great service.

If you’re wanting to make more money - I just don’t see it being worth it in your great situation. You even say you love Estes - it’s not like you hate it and need to get away. Every year is unpredictable with expenses and the rate you’ll be able to run. You might have a year running 100k miles and grossing $200k and only clearing $50k after expenses. Next year you might do 100k miles and gross $300k and clear $150k. There’s no consistency.

You have time to think on it, and lots of good advice here. Make sure the reason for wanting this is passion for independence and not higher income.

JonJon78, blairandgretchen and Opus Thank this.
  6. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Agree completely.

blairandgretchen and Jed2009 Thank this.
  7. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Very well said.

Jed2009 Thanks this.
  8. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    The car is the last major bill outside the mortgage. I also bought my house last year lol. Now I know the market was stupid, but given the circumstances... I had to vs paying $1700+ a month in rent. I have a really nice house BUT I DIDN'T BUY TOO MUCH HOUSE. (3200sqft tho) I can basically survive running a 420 mile run at Estes and still be comfortable. Paid 300K for house in a really good neighborhood. (No HOA)

MY motivation to be O/O comes from the fact I not only want kids, but I also want the freedom to be there when I NEED to not when they allow. Again, nothing is concrete, but I'm looking into the future as I have since before I started trucking.

My credit is PERFECT. I closed on my house in less than 2 weeks because my credit was so good with a less than 2.5% interest rate. Credit cards are maintained and never late. I have SOME liquid cash. I can sit it out until next year already as a company man because all I do is save for the most part. (Not rich lol)

Just things swirling in my head on how I'm going to take care my future wife and kid. I'm conflicted because I'd like to be in position to make sure my future wife & future kid are 100% taken care of. I know I kinda seem all over the place, but I hope I'm making sense.

Basically everyone, all I have now CONCRETE bills wise is a mortgage & car note.

PapaJoe and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You may not. That's the thing. We are going to go into a recession if not already there (*I think we are) and things are going to get rough, so it is better to wait for at least two years and save everything you can, reduce your debt load and see how it comes out in 24 months.

Opus Thanks this.
  10. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    Yes that's the plan. Just putting it out there because I've always been in position to avoid many pitfalls due to wise counsel. I don't have any trucking horror stories. I had a blast at Werner, made good money with Marten & now I'm at Estes!

11. KrumpledTed

KrumpledTed Medium Load Member

May 6, 2022
    It’s never a good idea to go O/O, but we all still do it so….

Long FLD and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.