Is Pre-Trip Documentation Required by DOT ?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by SilverBulletBand, Apr 19, 2021.

1. SilverBulletBand

SilverBulletBand Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    Is Pre-Trip Documentation Required by DOT ?

If so, can someone show a link to the Regulation please ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    @ZVar
    From what I can tell, you're only required to do post-trip paperwork. In the morning, you're required to do an inspection, and check the last post-trip, but you only have to do paperwork if you find an issue.

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (eCFR)

Capture.PNG Capture2.PNG

SilverBulletBand, ZVar and not4hire Thank this.
  4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    To the best of my knowledge, this is what the regs are.

Edited to remove the information already posted!

5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I was speaking to a DOT officer I know about pre/post-trip inspections. He was laughing a bit about this subject. He said and I agree that stoves don't come with a sign that says don't touch the hot burner. But, everybody knows if you touch a hot burner you are going to get burned. The same can be said for actually getting out of your truck and inspecting it.

6. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    When I was in wireline, we pencil-whipped everything to begin with. When they told us we didn't need to document the pre-trip unless we found an issue, us hands interpreted that as pre and post. So basically we stopped doing paperwork all together overnight.

Hey OP, are you asking out of curiosity? Or is this to settle an argument with your company or a cop?

7. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    I think you may getting written up by the companies safety if you dont log it

SilverBulletBand Thanks this.
  8. veterandriver46

veterandriver46 Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2021
    Hello, now your hearing from a 2nd gen veteran driver with 20 years experience about your question. yes you need a paper copy of the inspection report if your using paper logs it's normally on the back of the log sheet. if you are using an eld then no if the system has the pre/post trip inspection form is installed in it. normally it's under the on duty not driving tab. if it's not in the eld then you must fill out an inspection form for both pre and post trip inspection. A key rule to burn into your brain. rule #1 cyb =cover your butt! rule #2 read rule #1 again.

SilverBulletBand Thanks this.
  9. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    A post-trip report is only required if a defect is discovered or reported as per §396.11(a)(2)(i) (as posted above).

A driver doing a pre-trip would only be required to acknowledge a post-trip report if one had been previously prepared as noted above. Otherwise, no pre-trip report is required as per §396.13(a).

10. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    You have to log a pre-trip, but you no longer have to fill out a report unless you find something wrong that will prohibit the safe operation of the vehicle. They changed the reg requiring one whether you found anything or not 3 or 4 years ago.

11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    There’s an exception, If only running one Truck, One Trailer. both Owned and Driven by the same. It doesn’t need to be noted. I always note it myself. Not going to argue with the DOT.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.