Is there really a trucker shortage?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jbrow327, Oct 24, 2021.

1. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Yes, but it's more than just that. The backlog also has infected local streets.
    Neighborhood streets clogged by trucks hauling shipping containers

Meanwhile, as fuel prices go up, especially on the left coast, brokers are trying harder to pay less. Tell me, why would I go where fuel is $3.50+/Gal to make the same rate as I can make where fuel is $3.20/Gal.

bryan21384 and Moronica Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    There you have it, if the brokers want freight moved in and out of Cali, PAY MORE MONEY TO THESE CARRIERS!!!!!

tscottme, SoulScream84 and gentleroger Thank this.
  4. Jbrow327

Jbrow327 Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2019
  5. Jbrow327

Sep 28, 2019
    The brokers might be the real problem.

6. Jbrow327

Sep 28, 2019
    Good debate thus far.

7. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    My experience this month with the driver shortage. Had a part time opening, called three guys that have CDL's but have come off the road, two of them said they'd love to take it. The third had moved 3 hours away, which is too far. Weekly dedicated 1200 mile turn, 5 drops (takes 3 hrs), 75 c/mile, paid cash when the truck comes back. The guy we hired has 9 years of driving, including heavy loads.

Seems to me there's an excess of crappy driving jobs rather than a shortage of good drivers.

8. Moronica

Moronica Light Load Member

Mar 13, 2020
    Thats really what it is . Just a bunch of below average jobs that no one with experience and a good driving record wants to take

tscottme and Eldiablo Thank this.
  9. Eldiablo

Eldiablo Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2016
    I quit driving and moved to a factory. We can’t keep help. Notice I said keep. We get all kinds of new hires and they don’t stay. No shortage of anything other than lazy people. The pay is a little better than most places around and the benefits are better than most, I didn’t say all. It is night shift but they knew that before they applied must less offered a job. Did they think it would be dayshift a week after they started?
    Now you say this is about driving jobs. Well I filled out an app 2 weeks ago and talked to a place that paid more money than where I’m at and the benefits where as good. They said it is 10-12 hours a night with no overtime just striaght pay. If I worked that many hours at my job now even at a lower pay then it’s the same so why would I leave where I’m at for that??? Yea there’s no driver shortage....

olddog_newtricks and Moronica Thank this.
  10. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Shortage of lazy people? Not so sure about that. Unemployment is like 5 percent. The experts say the economy has outgrew the work force. I have this theory. There is an influx of work from home jobs. People can make 17 bucks per hour or better working from home. I think a lot of people are moving in that direction. That way you cut out child care costs, commuting costs, or whatever is applicable to that individual. For those who are still unnerved about covid and/or the vax, they avoid that. I think people have more options. You make the same wage without putting pants on so why wouldn't some people go that route? As for truckers, I am starting to be convinced there is a shortage. With a growing population and growing commerce, and drivers that don't stay, why wouldn't there be a shortage?

11. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I start out at 86,500 per year now and don’t get any calls at all. In my area at least, there is a huge shortage. That’s minimum pay too.

If I was hiring part time and paying cash, it would be easier, sure. But that’s not what most jobs are.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.