Is this realistic?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by DerbyCity76, Jul 14, 2020.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I think that comes from people thinking that’s the only way you can get your CDL.

jmz and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DerbyCity76

DerbyCity76 Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2020
    Not the only but maybe the best for those who don’t mind doing it? Every job I see posted asks for one year of recent OTR experience. I don’t doubt I can find someone to hire me without it, but if I don’t mind doing it, why not?

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  4. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    @DerbyCity76 check out the LTLs that have dock to driver program.

Estes Express.
    Southeastern freight.
    Old Dominion.
    Xpo im not sure if that one does offer the program but it wont hurt to ask.

Also check out pitt Ohio, R&L, Saia, Dayton freight and tsi trucking.

@Bob Dobalina works at Dayton freight hope he can chime in info to see if Dayton offers dock to driver position.

Dabrian, road_runner and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  5. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    What you stated is more factually accurate than you may or may not realize. Google "how to become a truck driver" and you will get a full page of company sponsored ads promising free schooling and a guaranteed job. The next few links will be articles that are factually inaccurate and misleading. But if those links is all you know about becoming a trucker, then it's fair to assume that the average person will assume that those are their only avenues to becoming a truck driver.... Thus reinforcing the stereotype that you have to do one year of OTR to qualify for local.

It's like me telling you that if you want to get the beer from the bottom shelve, you first need a step ladder to reach it. You'd do it once cause everyone else does it, before you realize how unnecessary of a step it is to add on a ladder.

We are all doing the same thing. It's an insane logic to say that the job that I am currently doing requires experience doing something I am not doing.

jmz, MACK E-6 and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  6. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Yep, Dayton does do the dock-to-driver deal at most terminals.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  7. singleaxle

singleaxle Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2019
    Keep your desk job if you’re making good money. After one year in LTL, you’ll be missing that 9 to 5 and sitting in the AC.

alds Thanks this.
  8. DerbyCity76

DerbyCity76 Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2020
    I’m retiring from the military so I don’t have a choice to keep my current job. I could look for a government job in the same field I’m in now, but after 20 years of cubicle life I want to try something different. I’m sure if I had spent the last 20 years doing LTL, I’d be ready to try an office job.

singleaxle and Cardfan89 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.