It’s time, hook me up anyone?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lennythedriver, Sep 10, 2022.

1. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Like the OP mentioned 4.5 years of experience and no incidents of any kind yet a company shows 'NO Respect' what so ever to them. It's ridiculous how a lot of these Trucking companies from Mega to smaller just lack the intelligence to realize without truckers nothing moves so cater to the trucker. These Driverless trucker aren't going to pan out until All vehicles on the roads, highways etc. Are autonomous which is probably another 30 years at best. With trucking companies having a lack of retention b.s. drivers and O/o fantastical stories how much they can earn with them, b.s. bonuses etc. Thinking drivers still fall for the smoking mirror b.s. yet the turnover with rention is 90%. StackPath Alot of the Management department & dispatchers lack the basic people skills to keep drivers on. And that's what it takes along with reasonable pay without gimmicks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. teams567

teams567 Medium Load Member

Jan 3, 2022
    Crete/Shaffer

4. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Well I picked a company more or less but now the fun begins. The person in charge of doing my background and all of this told me they would send over a preliminary offer. That didn’t happen. That was red flag number one. First they want me to do a road test, physical and drug screening. Before they will tell me exactly what the the full breakdown for the position is. Now I do know what the cents per mile is but I was also vaguely told there would be a signing bonus or a transition bonus and I just wanted to know kind of the lanes I’d be running and when and how I would get that bonus etc. No dice.….So I figured what the heck, I’ll go ahead and do that part. Went and did my road test, that went fine, drug test and physical no problems.
    Now? They want me to go out and do 10 days of training. Lol and this is where I slammed the brakes on. I explained to the young millennial in charge of hiring me that I was past the training phase. My record should speak for itself. And no trucker with 4 1/2 years of experience is interested in going and doing training again. She countered with “well we need you to learn our system and how we do things and how we go in and out of the shippers and receivers“. I politely explained to her that I had already been in and out of most of the places that they go and I know how they operate. And as an OTR driver I go into different places for shipping and receiving all the time and it only takes me a matter of minutes to figure out how they run their operation and I adapt accordingly. Again, nice young lady I don’t need to go out on the road 10 days and sleep in a bunk with a trainer. Lol Just give me a brief overview on how you do your calls, how you operate your QUALCOMM or pad and I’ll be on my merry way running loads for you. Nope. Their policy is to do training….NEXT! Lol

I vowed never let my time lapse between jobs long enough that I would ever have to get back on a truck with a trainer. And seeing how I’m going from one job directly to the next it’s completely unnecessary. Anyone else encountered this out there? Going out with the trainer again?

5. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    I get some of this and have never been in your situation but maybe it’s that they hear experience stories all the time that aren’t true when the person shows up for the job?

I would assume sometimes they green light you once they see you and drive 10’??
    And that bonus might be based on how much hand holding that person needs?

But I get not wanting to waste your time going door to door also

6. Lennythedriver

Feb 14, 2020
    Well experience is verifiable these days. They can pull up your history and see how many miles and how recent and all of that that you have.

The other company that I’m interested in, they actually do their orientation and training over the Internet and you can do it at home and then you just show up at one of the yards to pick up your truck and you’re on your way. Lol that’s more my style.

7. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
  8. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    That's when I would have been out the door right there.

I wonder how they would have reacted when you filled out your name on the app then told them.. "I'll tell you about my work history & experience after my 1st pay check." I wonder how they would have taken that? I mean... fair is fair aint it?

I'm curious, if you don't mind sharing, what company it was.

9. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
  10. Lennythedriver

Feb 14, 2020
    I’ll send you a PM. I typically don’t name trucking companies out in the open forum. Lol

11. rch10007

rch10007 Medium Load Member

May 26, 2007
    Madison, AL
    Mapco has at least one open seat/shift for a job that starts in Madison, AL and drives to Nashville or Birmingham during the day/night for local runs and then bring a last load back to the Huntsville area to end the 12 hour shift.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.