J.S. Helwig & Son

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Cobrawastaken, Oct 24, 2022.

1. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    I see them daily at Hormel in Austin,. MN.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cobrawastaken

Cobrawastaken Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    When I said north of Nebraska I really just meant the dakotas.

Speed_Drums and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  4. Born2win

Born2win Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2022
    How you doing??

5. Cobrawastaken

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    Thanks for reminding me that this thread exists lol. I'm doing pretty good. I went home for Thanksgiving Wednesday and came out Sunday. 2861 miles since then. Not bad considering I was not running hard at all. I had a cold and they swapped me with another driver to give me a load with some extra time. Ended up sitting at the terminal for a whole day. Felt better the day after that and started running hard again.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  6. Cobrawastaken

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    I forgot to post my miles for last week but in the last 7 days as of right now I got 2602. My oil pressure sensor quit working Sunday afternoon and I didn't get rolling again until Monday afternoon so that held me back a bit. Since I couldn't deliver my load on time while I was getting that fixed they had me swap with another driver and I got the short straw. I ended up with a 3 stop delivery, 2 in Maryland and one in New Jersey. Hopefully they don't have loads like this very often, but as an O/O I can always turn them down in the future. This one was kinda forced upon me due to the circumstances unfortunately.

Speed_Drums, bryan21384 and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  7. Cobrawastaken

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    2519 this week. After I got done with the 3 stop nightmare I had to sit for almost a whole day before my next load was ready in NJ. Other than that, pretty decent week. Had to run that load pretty hard to get it to Texas on time but that just means my next check will be good. I really love being paid twice a week at the moment. A more constant cash flow coming in makes big repairs easier to manage. I will probably have enough money put away here pretty soon that I'll tell them to put me on once a week pay. Keeping track of my expenses is really weird when I get paid twice a week.

8. teams567

teams567 Medium Load Member

Jan 3, 2022
    Update in 2023?

I know this company has a very high turnover- 95% to be exact. They even mention that during orientation.

I'm guessing you are not there anymore?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    ducnut Thanks this.
  9. Cobrawastaken

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    Lol I'm still with Helwig. I kinda gave up on the weekly updates and forgot to mention that on here. I'm making about $3000 a week net pay, that's after the insurance and other fees plus fuel comes out of my pay. The last week I was out before I went home in December I actually saw $3400. I'm definitely not complaining. I see how they could have a high turnover like that since more than 90% of their drivers are company drivers. I feel sorry for those guys and would never work here as a company driver. Their policies are strict and you are forced dispatch. None of that applies to me as an owner operator so it's not an issue for me.

Speed_Drums and bryan21384 Thank this.
  10. Cobrawastaken

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    I know I'm only getting a slice of the pie, but I didn't have to get the ingredients, put them together, and bake the pie. I simply just eat my slice.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
    ducnut, bzinger and bryan21384 Thank this.
  11. Cobrawastaken

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    Best week so far at Helwig netted me $3911. 2887 loaded and 310 empty miles for a total of 3197. Deadheaded from Hazelton, PA to pick up a preloaded trailer in Winchester, VA going to Hutchinson, KS. Then, deadhead to pickup preloaded trailer in Dodge City, KS. That load was originally destined for Methuen, MA but the trailer had a couple problems when I picked it up so I was a bit delayed. I got to Indianapolis and swapped with another driver who had better hours so he could deliver on time. I got his load going to Lewisville, TX. I wasn't mad, I don't like going to MA anyway.

bryan21384, Speed_Drums and Lonesome Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.