Job Termination

Discussion in 'Prime' started by UsualSuspect, Jun 8, 2018.

1. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    We both got our CDL's back in 1984, and like myself, drove for a few years, but when you are young, starting a family out, being on the road all the time isn't ideal. Can you post who will hire at the middle or upper pay range, that are not paying low wages?

FullMetalJacket Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    That is what I am thinking, I know the recruiter, she told him as long as he is honest about it, there shouldn't be an issue. I was surprised Stevens would not take him, nor would a few others.

FullMetalJacket and skellr Thank this.
  4. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Yeah, that surprises me too.

FullMetalJacket Thanks this.
  5. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Can you really blame an individual for trying to pull himself or herself "out of the gutter"? Also, it is NOT the fault of that individual if the pay scales are NOT going up, possibly being driven down. That individual does NOT have anything to do with the pay scales to begin with.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

6. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Can't blame them at all. But maybe a low paying driving job that carries the risk of leaving them stranded far from home with no resources if they don't make the cut or they get fired isn't what they need.

7. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    I’ve been fired from a couple jobs in my life. At my current company, I am one of very few drivers that do pre trips, I carry tools and fix things, I have passed 14 inspections and have never called in sick in 7 years. If they wouldn’t hire me because of that policy, it’s their loss not mine. I know several people that have gotten fired because they got sick of something and let their boss have it, and they are great employees. Prime really can’t afford to be lucrative.

My dad was fired from Roadway for an accident where the wind blew his back pup over. He got his job back, led the terminal in miles most years when he worked the wild board, and was chief steward for years, and Prime probably wouldn’t hire him. He never misses work either if possible and always makes his run. Some of these companies aren’t as great as they think they are.

8. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    I find it ludicrous that a company will schedule you for orientation, get you there and then decide not to hire you for reasons known to them before you ever got there. I can understand if you fail the driving test or medical, although failing the medical shouldn't happen if you have a current card.

I have worked with a few mega carriers and always found it crazy that you didn't know if you were hired until the end of orientation. No other profession works this way, usually you know you are hired before leaving your last job. This is the practice that needs to stop, getting people to orientation then cutting them.

If they need an interview face to face there is technology to allow for that, pretty much everything except your actual skill in a truck can be verified before you ever get on the bus. They could even do a medical with a national chain doc in a box close to your home. Really even driving skills could be evaluated by having a driver trainer meet you near your home and conduct a short road test, all before you get on the bus.

For the OP's friend, maybe he should be looking for a mega with a terminal closer to home if he is worried about getting back if he isn't hired. We all have had hard times but I can't imagine not having two or three hundred dollars to buy a ticket home.

9. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Bus tickets are very cheap. What amazes me is there are labs everywhere. Why not do that before you get there? They only trust theirs?

10. truadvocate

truadvocate Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    @UsualSuspect

If it was a definite no, then they would not spend the money to bring him out.

They want a face to face to check his attitude and work ethic. This is his chance to speak for himself as opposed to what's written on paper.

He has to show up early and alert for scheduled activities.

He has to be enthusiastic.

If it turns out to be a no, they will give him a bus ticket back home.

UsualSuspect Thanks this.
  11. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    Good lord,

Been around for some time & never saw that one.

Find that hard to believe, from everything I have experienced & seen here over the years. Just doesn't jive....

HAD to be something else behind that story .... ?????

Baffled on this one.........

skellr and Chinatown Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.