Just got started

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by CaliRaised, Dec 20, 2021.

1. CaliRaised

CaliRaised Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2021
    I have read quite a bit about Climate Express. They seem like a quality outfit.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CaliRaised

Dec 20, 2021
    Thank you for the suggestion. I have the Driver Pulse app by Tenstreet. Didn't realize that there is a way to submit myself to multiple companies at once (like Indeed or Ziprecruiter?).

4. CaliRaised

Dec 20, 2021
    @Chinatown thank you for pointing me in several directions. Much appreciated.

spindrift and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Hey there @CaliRaised , PM me if you're interested in Climate Express. We do so much DFW it's crazy....it ain't unheard of for us to run down there multiple times in a week on occasion. We don't really do west coast but hit me up and I'll give you the skinny.

Boondock, spindrift and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    I’ve worked for May 2 different times out of the Pensacola, FL terminal. They’re really not a bad outfit to drive for.

Pros:

- Good, long runs (reefer side)
    - Nice equipment
    - VERY experienced DMs (LOVED my DM Amy).
    - Run out west and Northwest (what I preferred when I was OTR)
    - Decent insurance

Cons:

- Pay is on the lower end
    - Your pay is put on your Commdata card and then you have to move it to your bank. Not a big deal, just kind of a pain every week.
    - Trucks are governed at 61 mph
    - Their terminals and driver facilities look like what I envision a homeless shelter to look like (I avoided them like the plague).

7. CaliRaised

Dec 20, 2021
    Saw a MTC truck yesterday and MAN those gray trucks look sharp. The low pay is the only thing that would bother me with May. Well, the aspect of paycheck going to Comdata card would be frustrating to me because I am really used to getting my check in my account and immediately available on debit card. I couldn't care less about the low governed speed. I enjoy cruising just a but slower than the rest of traffic. I roll along and keep my necessary distance. Just allow the 4-wheelers to maneuver around me like a stream around a rock. Slower speed is relatively stress-free. I am not spending enough time at terminals to worry about how nice they are (or are not). If my truck needs work, then obviously I may be sitting at a terminal, but I truly believe in the Smith System and that if I run the truck the way it is engineered to be run, then I shouldn't be spending too much time in the shop. For those who are wondering what that has to do with the Smith System of driving:
    The Smith System is a non-aggressive, defensive driving approach. It allows the truck to be operated with less mechanical wear on the engine. It is scientifically proven that setting a vehicle on cruise and driving with the flow of traffic (no continual acceleration and deceleration,) results in less time in the shop over a period of months and years compared to vehicles run at max speed with frequent acceleration and deceleration. May Trucking would probably be a good fit for me, but I don't know about that Comdata card pay. That really gives me pause at further considering them. Are there fees to transfer the money from the card to an account?

8. CaliRaised

Dec 20, 2021
    Alright, on the matter of the Comdata card pay, I discovered from a Google search that it's easy to transfer money to one's account from the card. In fact, per information from Comdata, an automatic direct deposit can be set up so that as pay becomes available on the card, it automatically transfers to a bank account. As far as I could tell, there are no associated fees for these transfers. May Trucking is back on my seriously considering list.

Boondock, dwells40 and Frank Speak Thank this.
  9. Savor the Flavor

Savor the Flavor Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2018
    Found a couple pix of their Denver terminal. Makes Schneider's Gary, IN terminal look like a Hilton by comparison! Yikes!

Boondock, Speed_Drums and Frank Speak Thank this.
  10. CaliRaised

Dec 20, 2021
    I did time at some prisons looking better than that.

Boondock and Savor the Flavor Thank this.
  11. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Any Turkish prisons?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.