Just starting out

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by sempergumby6105, Sep 6, 2022.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's a good plan then.
    ~
    You can make real good money at YRC/Yellow. Even the new drivers make big paychecks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  5. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I'd recommend Swift as a good starter company. I can't say I'm not biased toward Swift. Regardless, I do think they are one of the better places to get a start, despite the reputation they seem to have.

6. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas

I wonder how they got that Rep?
    CFFE96DB-CD3E-453A-ADBE-883645F8C8E4.jpeg 0929A051-7475-4AB6-A32E-29F794C60971.jpeg C0BFE9D7-F61B-412F-A6FD-5E50AFC87B94.jpeg

7. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @sempergumby6105 --

Former Schneider driver here.

Now, I do hazmat tanker duty, hauling fuel....mostly in south GA and north FL (but NOT with Schneider).

First of all--THANK YOU--for your service to our Great Country!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :occasion5::wav:

For getting started....but in the LTL sector....Chinatown's suggestion (in post #7 above) will be hard to beat.

Going on your own as an owner-op is generally a bad idea.....without learning the industry, and getting some really good experience--first.

If you are interested in flatbed duty--TMC (in post #12) was (I think) started up by a former Marine. Depending on what you did in the military, and how well you liked it--you might like the company culture there.

Especially given your status as a vet, Schneider will be more than happy to have you aboard--but as Chinatown mentioned above, there are probably better options for someone like you.

Two advantages you should know about with Schneider, however:

1) They will allow you the opportunity to sample pulling different types of freight--without changing employers. If you're not sure what sector of freight you really want--that might be something to consider. While with Schneider, I started off doing dry van duty, & then went into their intermodal group. This is one reason (among several others) why I started out with Schneider.

2) They have a terminal near you, in Indianapolis (but you probably already knew that).

If you think you would be more interested in starting off in tanker duty--then you really should know about Western Dairy Transport:

DRIVER ACADEMIES | wdtmilk.com

Western Dairy will pay you a salary while you train with them to get your CDL--and also provide room and board there while doing so. They have a training academy in Cabool, Mo. What a deal! :eek::D

Since you are considering a career in trucking, you would probably well benefit by reading the following Forum thread....and then thinking about it....there are some good posts there....& you'll have a better idea of just what you're getting into:

If you had to start over... | TruckersReport.com Trucking Forum | #1 CDL Truck Driver Message Board (thetruckersreport.com)

--Lual

8. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Well, alot of folks who try to be a truck driver aren't very suited for it. So, they somehow have to weeded out. For reasons beyond my personal comprehensive Swift decided it would contribute significantly to that effort.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    FFE and KLLM train at the same school in Burns Harbor, Indiana
    KLLM owns FFE.
    ~
    1. Midwest - KLLM Transport Services
      Midwest - KLLM Transport Services
      Midwest KLLM Driving Academy 321 Tech Dr., Burns Harbor, IN 46304 The Illinois/Indiana/Ohio area KLLM Driving Academy offers Class-A CDL training, in partnership with Ivy Tech …
      [​IMG]
    upload_2022-9-6_13-3-20.jpeg

10. Warwyvern

Warwyvern Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2022
    Hello Chinatown I noticed you post about Robertsons a lot and I was wondering do they hair test

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.