Keep Trucking ELD logging question.

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Concorde, Apr 12, 2018.

1. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte

They changed the regs back in 2012 to allow Off Duty in a "Parked" commercial vehicle. This allowed hotshots and daycabbers to get their legal 30 minute breaks inside the truck instead of standing out in the rain,snow or 110 degree heat. Hotshots are allowed to get their breaks inside their trucks and no longer have to produce hotel receipts to prove their 10 hour rest breaks due to this change as well.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scottied67

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I think you are confusing 397.5 as it pertains to 'in attendance' to a hazmat load. We are talking about 395.8 here.

I've been under loads that had too much time and went to a hotel and logged Off Duty for 2 days before. Even had some adult beverages during that time.

LOL your story sounds like it came straight out of one of those truck stop diners with the super trucker ex CIA Seals and parachuting firejumpers on the weekend with the side job as a DOT defense lawyer-- they just truck for a hobby now-a-days, stopping along the way to spread their infinite wisdom in greasy spoon truck stop restaurants and slap axx with the waitresses.

ZVar Thanks this.
  4. truadvocate

truadvocate Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Again...

Log auditors inform companies how to record time.

Moore than one log compliance department had instructed me to log off duty for the 34 even when I take that 34 at a truck stop in the sleeper.

Pay yourself on the back for doing it your way and I'll continue to do it my way.

Geezh!!!

5. truadvocate

Mar 31, 2018
    Call it what you want.

Under a load pertains to any freight for which you've yet to deliver.

I know what I've been instructed to do per compliance officers who have been audited.

What you say or do puts no money in my pocket.

Continue to give your opinion and I will continue to pass on the directions I've received from log departments that have been audited.

Have a good day.

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    At yet you are the one giving opinion, while scottie has given the law.
    Will you get in trouble for it? Unlikely, but it's still not the legal way to log and saying it's the legal way is just wrong.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  7. truadvocate

Mar 31, 2018
    Oh my...

Clearly a "last-worder."

Ok...

You have it.

Please, do feel better because of course what you and your partner say is the gospel truth and there shall be no other.

*Cue Applause

Have a good evening.

8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Just checked by simulating...Keep Trucking will allow you to rest 10 hours in any combination of off duty and sleeper berth time, without the need of staying 8 consecutive hours in the sleeper. I did 1 hour off duty, then 5 hours in the sleeper and concluded with 4 hours off duty again, it did reset the 11/8/14 hours for another day.

Paradox:
    If I am in the sleeper on my 8 hours (split break) and...after 7 hours, I have to go out and poop and never log on duty or off duty, I never change the status...does it make me a log book falsifier? Technically, after the poop, I am supposed go back to the sleeper and serve another 8 hours....

9. scottied67

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte

I will always continue to put out the correct and legally proper information. Understand, your compliance officers are not gods; and just because they passed an audit review by other incompetent people who should know better does not make them correct either.

My advice to you may not put money in your pocket, but it will most definitely keep money in your pocket by avoiding fines and violations.

A driver should only log Sleeper if they are indeed occupying said Sleeper. When the driver is not in the Sleeper they need to be logging Off Duty-- to do otherwise is straight up log falsification which will cost you and your carrier under CSA and PSP bigtime.

You don't have to believe me, argue your point with a duly competent DOT officer when they are inspecting your logs in the big DOT Safety Blitz coming up in June. Prepare for domestic avian embryo DNA to be all over your face lol

10. deathB4decaf

deathB4decaf Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2018
    @scottied67 I have a question pertaining to this. If our drivers are part of a driveaway/towaway and they are driving the vehicle that is intended for delivery, does that translate to them needing to use sleeper berth?

11. scottied67

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I am not familiar with driveaway/towaway logging requirements. Honestly I thought they were exempt from logging rules or something close to that-- sorry that response is the after-effects of accidently drinking decaf this morning....

deathB4decaf Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.