knight and pets?

Discussion in 'Knight' started by camofrawg83, Dec 23, 2010.

1. camofrawg83

camofrawg83 Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Dunn, NC
    Ok, so is knight a bad idea if you live on the east coast? I live right on i95.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OverDrive

OverDrive "A Watchman on the Walls"

That may be as a result of the "Americans with Disabilities Act." I live in a senior (55+) manufactured home park with a NO PETS policy; however..... several residents do have dogs as 'prescribed' by doctors for depression, etc. and are allowed such with restrictions like keeping inside and not allowing to 'do their duties' along park roads and so forth. One resident had his dog's vocal cords cut to disallow any barking..

I've heard that it's pretty easy to get that medical stipulation and I'm sure that it will become common place and even 'viral' in the future due to our socially-engineered nanny-state society...<sigh>:biggrin_25521:

Add-on edit:

I've been a life-long dog lover, but get my 'dog fix' when visiting my son & daughter and their families (1 Rat Terrier, 1 Yellow Lab, 1 Australian Shepherd). Most ppl dont know how to treat or control their dogs, as Caesar Milan the Dog Whisperer, will tell you seeing them as ppl and NOT dogs! Even my Sis with 2 Schnauzers refers to hers as 'fur ppl.' Many ppl even kiss 'dog lips' that have recently licked their rear ends!

So the NO Pets policy is as a result of uncontrolled (barking, crapping everywhere, etc.) pet behaviors which are ultimately the result of pet owners not knowing how to control their pet's behaviors. " Dogs are NOT ppl!" Quoted many, many times by Caesar Milan saying that dogs shud be treated as 'dogs.' But they are part of the family. However, the owners shud be in the role of the alpha pack leaders...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  4. JimDriv3r

JimDriv3r Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Is
    Not a bad idea at all. It just sucks to get back west for those folks that live out west. If you live on the east coast, then you will probably be okay. It's all up to you to choose who to work for though.

Oh, and no pets allowed.

5. camofrawg83

Jan 8, 2010
    Dunn, NC
    I know there is good and bad with all. I am just looking somewhere where I can run hard during the week and be home on the weekends. Not asking for much am I?

6. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    Hell no your not asking for too much. If someone wants too stay out for a month then by all means they can knock themselves out. That's why I came too Knight but they did away with that whole weekend off thing. Too many drivers were sticking around and you know how drivers get after a few months. They stop feeling grateful and quit working for free.

7. camofrawg83

Jan 8, 2010
    Dunn, NC
    So, Mach, how is the hometime now? Do you live east coast? Thanks.

8. Dna Mach

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    I'm long gone from Knight but I like to come here and see what's new every so often.

Think of Knight as 30 different companies all competing against each other. Back in 2006 we used to run 2500 miles a week with a minimum of at least a 34 at home on the weekends, usually more. It was well known then that you didn't venture to far from home because other terminals would use you to clean up their yards and they knew exactly what customers to not send their own drivers too. By about mid 2008 or right about the time we were starting to accept staying out two weeks they started keeping us out about three weeks to a month with no increase in miles.

From the sounds of it, there aren't too many happy Knight drivers anymore so I'm assuming they haven't improved much. I personally can't recommend Knight but I'm sure there's someone here that would disagree and give you another view to look at. Best of luck to you!

9. camofrawg83

Jan 8, 2010
    Dunn, NC
    So any good suggestions with 6 months and hazmat?

10. Dna Mach

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    Cargo Transporters out of Claremont Nc. Their a home weekend company.

11. tracyq144

tracyq144 Heavy Load Member

Feb 15, 2009
    MN
    So they will get me home every weekend? Cool! I will give them a call, what is the number of their MN office?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;)

I do think that if you want to get home every weekend, the southeast is the best place to live; a lot of companies down there run that way, or at least used to run that way.

I worked for BNE out of Nashville, best company I ever drove for, by a long shot. I got fired because I told the boss off one time, mistake on my part, for sure. (I've never claimed I was the sharpest knife in the drawer.)

Shortly after I left, though, they started staying out over the weekend, and not too long after that, they went under.

Due to competition from the bigger carriers (sorry I work for one of them now), a lot of these "driver friendly" carriers are falling by the wayside.

I suppose I could quit in protest, but how sensible would that be? Trucking ain't what it used to be, and I don't think it ever will be again.

Sad, but true.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.