KW Dash Lights Go Off - NOT the dial

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Kit76, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Kit76

Kit76 Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2012
    West Lafayette, IN
    Running a 2013 KW T700. Company truck, but we just lost a whole weekend waiting on parts for something else and can't afford to miss this load. (Breakdown pay is a joke.)

Had this problem once before, but then it fixed itself before the shop got to us, so we were told "Can't fix it unless it's broken."

So now, once again, driving along and dash lights go out. The light on the jake and cruise buttons, as well as the speedometer and other gauges. Odometer and info box (where cruise speed and time display) still lit.

If hadn't come back on before, I would have assumed a fuse.

Anyone else have this issue or have any ideas on causes?

Much appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    my 2011 700 has done this twice and came back on
    hasn't happened in about 9 months

4. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    Our older trucks with the new-style dash have started to show this problem and it turns out there's a control module that goes bad.

5. Kit76

Kit76 Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2012
    West Lafayette, IN
    We seem to have found the problem and made a temporary fix. The ACC Relay (in the fuse box) was really hot. We pulled it, let it cool off a bit, then reinstalled it and the lights came back on.

We're going to replace the relay when we get to the next shop.

6. craggy1982

craggy1982 Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2012
    KY
    if your relay got hot you have a wiring problem somewhere more than likely. something is making that relay get hot. a bare wire somewhere shorting out more than likely.

Kit76 Thanks this.
  7. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    My 2010 w900 had same issue, went to KW dealer, ECM needed update fixed the dash lights and a cruise control issue.

8. Cfifteen

Cfifteen Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    I found that on mine with the older style dash, I would get a flicker then my speedo lights would go out. Then again on my Rpm gauge. I replaced the lights and more importantly the sockets, and have not had the problem since.
    Hope it works the same for you, as it's a cheaper fix.

Cheers,

*Edited* Sorry, didn't read the first part about it being a 2013 unit. :neutral:

9. kwcam

kwcam Light Load Member

Dec 29, 2012
    at the shop
    On the 2007 and up KW's the dash lights, interior lights are controlled by the cecu, the computer behind the cup holder. Some times when the lights go out if you pull the 3 fuse's labeled cecu, let it sit for a minute then reinstall them the lights will come back on. should be two 15 amp and one 5 amp.

BikerTrucker and scottied67 Thank this.
  10. Oilfieldmike

Oilfieldmike Medium Load Member

Aug 22, 2012
    holiday, florida
    My solution was the turn signal stalk on the steering wheel

It seems the power for the dash lights and gauges goes through the turn signal mechanism on the steering wheel

I had the following symptoms

Dash lights out but speedometer and rpm gauge worked

Gauges did not cycle when key turned on

Info screen above the speedo and rpm gauge worked but the select wheel would not change the information

Turn signal bar loose.

How I figured it out was the cecu 15 amp fuse was blown. It sat for awhile with the fuse out . Replaced the fuse and all worked but the lights above the lights, cruise, etc..

Opened the door and pop. Closed door, replaced fuse. All back on

Giggled the turn signal bar and pop. I was told back when that the light power was routed through the turn signal bar so I immediately released that had to be it

Replaced the turn signal switch, replaced fuses, all works again

Update... fuse popped again going down the road. I think I am going in the right direction. If the truck is stationary and no problem it's gotta be a loose wire that vibrates and shorts going down the road.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  11. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Had it happen a couple times on my back in 2011. Did have a rain leak dripping down on the dash and soaking into the defroster vents for probably a year before I bought the truck. Had it in the shop for some other work but when I pretripped the truck before leaving the dashlights were out again and had them rip into the dash and fix whatever before I would leave.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.