Landing gear kick back

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Tempesta68, Jun 14, 2022.

1. Tempesta68

Tempesta68 Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2022
    I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere before but I can't find it. I was hauling a trailer, went to drop it. Legs would only go half way down. After trying a couple of times I decided to cradle the handle and call dispatch and have them send out road call. I put the handle in neutral and the thing took off on me like a bat out of hell. I was loaded so I was dollying down in low. I don't spin. What would cause this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Describe more accurately the following

"The thing took off on me"

"I dont spin"

If what you are describing is that you got the landing gear halfway down then you pulled the handle to neutral and the landing gear just fell to the ground, you have described a broken gear in the landing gear housing

4. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    Good way to get your teeth knocked out , always stand away from the handle.

5. Tempesta68

Jun 14, 2022
    It kicked back. Recoiled as soon as I put it into neutral.

6. Tempesta68

Jun 14, 2022
    The handle recoiled as soon as I put it in neutral. The legs never went more than half way down. They would go up. But not more than half way down.

7. Tempesta68

Jun 14, 2022
    Good way to learn to fly also. I'm 5'5" weigh 125lbs. Got thrown 15 ft into another trailer, knocked out, and hit my head on the pavement.

Attached Files:

8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I've never had the trailer gear handle kick back when lowering the legs. I don't know how the handle could kick back if the feet are not touching the ground. BTW, NEVER let the landing gear feet touch the ground before you drop the trailer. If they are touching the ground and trailer is air-ride, you have just screwed the next driver picking up that trailer. I always leave the landing gear about 6 turns (high gear) off the ground. That's ALMOST enough space to stick your foot under the feet. NEVER STICK YOUR FOOT BETWEEN GEAR FOOT AND GROUND.

MOST OTR drivers don't know they are leaving their trailer landing gear too high because they are gone by the time anyone ever hooks to hit. If the gear legs are touching the ground before you slide out from under the trailer YOU ARE LEAVING THE GEAR TOO TALL, even if you are unaware of it.

9. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Pressure on the dolly legs would cause that, or warped legs/cranking while in bind.

10. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Best not try the leaving platform in the air to drop down with liquid or a hopper, if air ride, best to have air dump valve.

I drop trailers til platform on ground then extra just to hear weight come off airbags of truck.

Never had a problem hooking back up to it, nor any other that came for that trailer...

11. Tempesta68

Jun 14, 2022
    feet touch the ground before you drop the trailer. If they are touching the ground and trailer is air-ride, you have just screwed the next driver picking up that trailer. I always leave the landing gear about 6 turns (high gear) off the ground. That's ALMOST enough space to stick your foot under the feet. NEVER STICK YOUR FOOT BETWEEN GEAR FOOT AND GROUND.

I'm gonna say that I wouldn't have left the trailer to high. If I were conscious and able to unhook from the trailer with the legs where they stopped, I would have dropped it on its nose

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.