Leaving Prime

Discussion in 'Prime' started by dogchimp, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    Can we get more clarification on the knocking two trailers together. Since I'm sure in the 10 to 15 years you may need to explain to said employer's. Dude don't worry about it. I did the same thing I was at two strikes and luck wasn't my best friend so. Getting off the road before I was fired was a good thing. Still was able to get a local gig that didn't pay much, but was super hard word, but then I got a sweet regional gig. But again. Maybe you mean knocking 2 trailers over would love to hear the story if you have time, but if not. I'm sure the inquiring minds will just use our imagination.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. superpet39

superpet39 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    No need to leave trucking, how long have you been at prime? If it's ATLEAST six months, that should be enough experience to land you a decent local LTL job that pays you better and has you home every night. If it isn't six months yet, I would suggest you "tough it out" till then..... Either way, I would start applying to local jobs, and give that a shot before you base your decision to leave trucking solely on your OTR experience. Good luck nonetheless.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  4. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    You're not the first to decide that driving isn't their cup of tea. Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Best advice so far here - entirely up to you, but that's where I'd be headed.

But - I'm not starting a family and I have to pay friends to hang out with me.

Good luck bud.

"Hang - Man" and 123456 Thank this.
  6. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    He said he wants a life. He doesn't want to live in a truck. Worked for you....but you're not him.
    You feel you did the right thing for you----doesn't mean everyone is gonna agree with you.
    Living in a truck, in a Wal-Mart parking lot is the exact OPPOSITE of what the OP is talking about.

7. White Dog

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    LOL! That would be any other company out there---Prime trucks are ssslllooowww.

8. White Dog

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    Wrong! DAC/HireRight can only disclose information going back 7 years. At the 7 year mark, they will disclose that you drove for the companys 3 years prior (10 years total)---but can not put accident/incident information, wheather the employee is eligible for re-hire, or how the driver left the company.

Plus, applications only require you to disclose the number of accident/incidents in the past 3 years; and tickets in the past 12 months.

Heck; if he was to wait 11 years before even applying to a trucking company, he wouldn't even have to say even heard of Prime.
    Don't supply any more information than the law requires---at that big of a gap, your experience with Prime wouldn't mean a darn thing any way...so why even disclose it if the law doesn't require.

9. White Dog

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    I'm not picking on superpet39...just want to point something out here.
    Why do so many people on here think that there is a "local and/or LTL job" available to everyone, in every area of the country? And, on top of that....why do so many people on here feel that a "local and/or LTL job" is the perfect "out" from OTR?

I have done local/LTL....bumped 30 docks a day, pulling as many as 7 trailers, with some of the most beat up equipment I have ever operated, for $15.45 an hour on 2nd. Shift. It completely sucked---just ask my chiropractor.

Longarm Thanks this.
  10. Longarm

Longarm Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2011
    That attitude has been rampant for as long as I can remember. Do one year OTR and then you can 'write your own ticket'. To what? Local isn't always what it's cracked up to be. Been there, done that.

I talk to so many new drivers who have it in their head that they're gonna do a year OTR and land a dream gig making $25 an hour and home every night.
    Yeah, good luck with that.

Dinomite and ethos Thank this.
  11. cwc

cwc Medium Load Member

Apr 14, 2008
    richmond, va.
    Its not many local jobs in my state that will accept 6months of experience and if there r, they will not pay you much. 6months is not enough nowadays to get a halfway decent local trucking job, even tho there might be 1 exception in va., but not many. the minimum now is 1yr. how do i know? because i tried a few years ago to get a job with 6mnts exp. 1 year or better to make sure you even have a shot of getting that local gig.

12. cwc

cwc Medium Load Member

Apr 14, 2008
    richmond, va.
    And even then most good local truck jobs in my state you must do all 48 all weather all terrain or they wont even consider your application. even tho i know its in my best interest to stay for 2 years to get the best chance at a really good local truck driving company, i dont want to go another year on the road.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.