Leaving the shoulder

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by DuesyJ29, Apr 8, 2016.

1. DuesyJ29

DuesyJ29 Light Load Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Dallas, Texas
    So tonight I had a guy in a dry van pull back into my traffic lane from the shoulder just as I was moving over to pass him. He did this from a dead stop and was only going about 20 miles an hour by the time I passed him by. And the deal is, I've seen this a lot lately. Cars or trucks, hitting that left blinker while stopped on the side of the road and just whipping back into traffic from a stop. The question I have(more of a rant maybe) is when did they start teaching that in ANY driving school? Class A or otherwise. When I was a kid you would see drivers on the side of the road start moving and gather speed before moving back into traffic. And I'm only in my younger 30s. As far as I'm concerned this is STILL the best, and safest way to leave a stop from the shoulder. Have I been doing it wrong all this time?

MS

LindaPV and 12 ga Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Your doing it right... Common sense seems to be completely lost out on the road these days with both cars and big trucks. It's scary

Students training students with big trucks doesn't help anything either

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    RustyBolt and 12 ga Thank this.
  4. tech10171968

tech10171968 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    No, you are not crazy; everyone else is.

Seriously.

People who just pull out into the travel lane like that become rolling hazards the second they leave the shoulder, and it's even more dangerous when the driver in question is in a semi. Granted, rumble strips don't make it any easier, but it's still better than nearly killing someone.

HalpinUout Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.