Lemon?

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by csmith1281, Nov 1, 2018.

1. csmith1281

csmith1281 Medium Load Member

May 29, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Feeling a little bit like I bought a lemon. I leased a 2016 Peterbilt 587 with 240,000 miles on it. Had a great experience. Very dependable truck. Decided to buy one just like it with similar mileage out of the same fleet. I have owned it for six months now, and I have spent a total of two months with it in the shop. Everything has been covered under warranty, but downtime still cost money. Y’all tell me about Peterbilt. In your opinion, what are the pros and cons? Is it likely I bought a lemon? Is Peterbilt generally known for being unpredictable or reliable? I’m seriously considering selling this truck ASAP and going with a Kenworth.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    What engine and drivetrain is In it?

Are your downtime related issues due to the emissions system?

4. csmith1281

May 29, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Paccar MX 13. I have had no engine and transmission issues… Except for when I am going home for now, which is the clutch brake. I have had numerous check engine lights for bad fuel Doser, boost pressure sensor, DEF pump losing prime, aftertreatment wiring harness had to be replaced because some jack ### destroyed it during a previous repair attempt, numerous air leaks, failed door handle and latch, failed power window switch module, failed attempts at repairing several of these items correctly the first time…

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. Bakerman

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    That’s all?
    WOW! Yeah that’s a lot of stuff to go wrong in six months time, might want to check into that lemon law.

I’ve only heard two things about the Paccar engine, people either love them or they hate them.

That’s all I know about them, so that and two bucks will get you a cup of coffee.

6. Bakerman

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Maybe see if you can get in touch with super trucker Dan on YouTube. He has that same engine and a Peterbilt 386 model, and as far as I know he has not had any of the problems that you have.

KB3MMX and csmith1281 Thank this.
  7. Bakerman

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Never mind, I forgot you said you do not have engine issues.

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  8. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    So are you just getting check engine lights for these items or are you getting check engine lights and parts failures of these items?

9. csmith1281

May 29, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Both. Repairs were needed, and got completed.

10. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    I'm sorry things are going this way for you. Now I'm confused I thought you said you don't have engine issues but outside of some minor repairs (a door latch, and air leak, etc) and a clutch all of the problems you're experiencing are engine issues. Those are Paccar parts in your emissions after treatment system that are failing and it sounds like it's nearly put you out of business but you're thinking of selling the truck and replacing it with a Kenworth, another Paccar product? Your mx13 has a reputation for electrical problems. May I ask why you choose this truck over a Cascadia when the same year DD15 is reliable, more cost efficient and you are a new O/O trying to get your business off the gound who needs reliable equipment now more than you will at any point in your career?

DSK333 and csmith1281 Thank this.
  11. csmith1281

May 29, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    I meant particularly I am not having problems with the engine block or the transmission case contents. All the other stuff is appurtinent to the engine. This post right here is exactly what I was asking for. So the 587 has a reputation for electrical problems? I wanted to stay away from Freightliner, but if that’s the more reliable, sensible way to go as a new O/O, i’ll seriously consider it for my next truck purchase. Maybe I’ll get out of this ASAP and get into a Freightliner. To answer your question, I got the Peterbilt because it was available through the only people that would finance me. Chalk it up to newbie learning experience, I guess.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.