let's cook some chicken.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking in the Truck | Trucker Recipe Forum' started by TommyTrucker88, Jan 17, 2017.

1. TommyTrucker88

TommyTrucker88 Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2016
    POCONOS, PA
    So I wanted to ask mainly about a portable stove I am planning on buying. I wanted to know what if you guys had better idea for cooking on the road or experience with using propane and butane fuel.
    Wich is more cost efficient ?

And what would be a good way to cook food that is safe and not breaking any laws.

Im looking at. https://www.google.com/search?clien......1c.1.64.mobile-gws-serp..9.0.0.TvWQktXHSGg

I seen a toaster oven that plugs into the 12v outlet in trucks at the TA but it was really small. Good thing was no fuel to keep buying but no idea on how good it cooks or how durable it is.

Do you guys cook your own meals on the road? What are some cost effective to suggestions?

I was going to buy a coffee machine and use it to boil water.

Thanks

fargonaz Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    My company has APU's and 1800 watt inverters. I use a big crock pot, microwave, and just bought an electric all-in-one steamer, slow cooker, pressure cooker that seems to work pretty good. 12v stuff isn't worth the money. When I had my own truck, I used the portable butane burner they sell in T/A-Petro's, but you had to be real careful not to catch the truck on fire. I also used a propane camping stove bungied to the top of my chain rack outside from time to time. They sell bulk bundles of the butane at either Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops. I finally gave up all that gas stove cooking, it got to be too much of a hassle. With a crock pot and a pressure cooker, it's set it and forget it until dinner time.

4. TommyTrucker88

TommyTrucker88 Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2016
    POCONOS, PA
    I like the sound of the crock it. I'm not much of a chef so I ask what temperature does it get too?
    Can I throw in a couple pieces of chicken breast or a steak and cook it well? What are some meals you cook using the crockpot?
    Does the lid lock down or is it loosely on top?
    Can you link me to a good one?

5. TheRipper

TheRipper Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    I love the crock pot. I usually buy the Tyson roast kits and just throw it on low for 8 hours while I sleep. Then have great food for 2 days. It's a pre prepared kit with meat, potatoes, carrots, and onions + seasonings. Really easy and good. And a + if you buy the slow cooker bags to put in the crockpot, because no clean up. Just throw away.

6. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I've done chicken, chili, meatloaf, pork chops (with veggies), and my wife gave me a recipe for crock pot potato soup...and what we call in the south, stomp steak (chopped steak covered with cream of mushroom soup). My crock pot's lid locks, and can be used with a standard 300 watt plug in inverter. It's made by Bella, I got it at Wally World, fairly cheap. It gets hot enough to cook anything you can fit in it. (It's a 6 qt). I have heard drivers say they've tried the 12v crocks, but they aren't as good. The steamer and microwave I have needs a big inverter, but the crock pot works fine on a small one. Oh, and for easy cleanup, I use plastic crock pot liners from Wally too..

MidWest_MacDaddy Thanks this.
  7. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    I had a rice steamer that would not only do rice but steam veggies and for cook chicken breasts and other stuff.

I used a microwave most of the time... lots of options to heating up meals... or just hot water for making oatmeal or coffee.

I love the crockpot idea... just never got into it.

8. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I made scrambled eggs successfully for the 1st time in my microwave the other day. I had tried many times before, but never timed it right...this time they came out perfect.

9. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    The steamer/pressure cooker impressed me...a small bag of red skin potatoes took like 15 min, carrots done in 10. I have broccoli in the fridge I will make tomorrow. I got tired of nuking frozen and decided to try steaming fresh.

10. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    I use a crackpot and a microwave. I like the crackpot best. Just be advised to look the bottom of it over. Mine is one with the removable crock pot in it. It has two little vent tubes that stick down on the bottom. They will get hot enough to melt ugly little holes in the floor of the truck. I have it strapped to a large white cutting board to prevent that from happening again. Also now it know it won't tip over. I've made beef roast, pork roast, pork blade steak, and several different chicken recipes. I need to find a few new recipes. Best two points about using my crockpot is its a lot cheaper, and I've lost almost 25 lbs.

Crude Truckin' Thanks this.
  11. Xcis

Xcis Medium Load Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Bridgeport, Pa
    TommyTrucker88 when in doubt go to your computers best friend... Google. Search for "cooking on the exhaust manifold". There are books on the subject and even free you tube videos. All you need is some foil wrap and don't forget to double wrap the food for cooking.

Crude Truckin' Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.