Lets talk coordinators

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by mtoo, Oct 19, 2015.

1. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    As some of you know I have been here a long time, Jan 1989. Before I came I talked to every Mercer truck I saw, just like you guys asking questions. Not that many since they only had about 500 trucks and no internet. One driver suggested if I come over, I should request Bernie his coordinator.

I come to Louisville, sign on got Bernie, thought I died and went to heaven. First trip out Bernie sends me to Az. Finally work myself back, then he sends me to Fl. I only had Bernie about a month and he had a heart attack and passed away. I don't know if he was any good or not. But just like today Az and Fl was not a good place for a new hand.

After Bernie I got this young floater kid named Farmer John. For someone wanting to make money Farmer john turned into the best coordinator Mercer ever had. We had a long and profitable relationship. Farmer John went on to do his own thing as an agent FET. But I was lucky to have him many years.

Then I got this young floater collage kid working thru the summer. It was a disaster, worst coordinator ever. He lasted the summer and went back to school.

My next coordinator I already new quite well. I lived in Mt when I signed on until 8 years ago. My new coordinator was the western states freight salesman. Monroe was a little slow getting started. Several of his trucks lost patience and asked for a new coordinator.

I stuck it out with his learning curve and like Farmer John he became a great coordinator. We had many years of working together. I moved from Mt to Tn with Monroe as my coordinator. Living in Mt and having the old western states salesman as a coordinator was great. When I moved to Tn he told me, Steve, we made you money living in Mt. it's going to be so easy living in Tn. Like Farmer John, I made a lot of money with Monroe.

Any way Monroe got old and retired a couple years ago. They give me this young girl named Jessie. I'm old and tired, perfect time for a new coordinator. My opinion of Jessie is she is great. If I needed her to make me money she could. But she she lets me do my own thing.

In the old days your coordinator made a lot of difference. Today with the contractor web and the computer matching trucks to board position. Now coordinators are on a level playing field, You can still have a bad coordinator, but with the contractor web you have a lot of power.

I was lucky, before the contractor web I had two of the best coordinators Mercer ever had. When I needed to make money, we could make some money.

I though some of you newer hands would find this interesting, if not, it's just the ramblings of an old man.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Anything sane from an experienced hand is always welcome. Thanks for helping others benefit from your wisdom

4. lots of character

lots of character Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2015
  5. CJndaTruck

CJndaTruck Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN (area)
    Ramble on Old Man!

scottlav46 Thanks this.
  6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I'm just old enough to remember a phone at every booth and counter in pretty much every single truck stop diner. Back before pilot bought every independent truck stop out. sure wish I had given Mercer a call back then.

I guess I've been lucky with my coordinator. She seemed to click with what I wanted the truck to do almost from day one. however, no matter how good a coordinator is, they can only do so much. The successful contractors here are the ones that are constantly on the load board. I constantly get guys approaching me out on the road asking how I'm doing here, and how they were going broke leased to Mercer. The common denominator of all of them is they didn't use the load board themselves and let the coordinator find all their loads. it takes a team effort.

larry2903 and mountaingote Thank this.
  7. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    I am a little light in the loafers at times. Please summarize in a maximum of two sentences what your point is. I ask this is all honesty and sincerity. I need to do something different because of all the changes in the dump trailer work here in GA. Thanks

8. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    My last sentence says it all. I thought some might find it interesting, others might think I'm just an old man rambling. Don't mater to me.

truckon Thanks this.
  9. CJndaTruck

CJndaTruck Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN (area)
    20151021_195153.jpg

Is that what those were???

Truckin_Texas91411 Thanks this.
  10. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Yep. And if you look close, I bet you can still see the cigarette burn marks on most of them. Them were the days (not!). Standing in line for a hour to use the phone, calling in, FINALLY talking to your dispatcher just to hear "I ain't got nuttin' yet. Call back in 2 hours."

I look back at those days with rose colored glasses sometimes. Then I remember the phones....

11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    At many truck stops the restaurant had phones at every booth or table along the wall, and the dinner counter would have a few also. And while the phones sucked I also certainly don't miss the dog house beside me, nor the "sleeper"that was nothing but a mattress behind the seats either. It's really nice being able to get dressed standing up in today's trucks.

larry2903 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.