Let's talk uturns

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Boattlebot, Mar 29, 2017.

1. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Used to do them all the time when I'd drive a route with a 30ft trailer at 3 am...

With a smooth tanker at 80k not so much. I also know where I'm going now most the time. I'm not looking for tiny restaurants grease dumpsters in back alleys anymore.

But yeah it's possible even with a big trailer but you won't do it legally, you gotta turn from the far right.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  4. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    I try to avoid them as much as possible. I think I'm total I've only completed 3 maybe. All of them were on roads where I missed my turn and was coming to a low clearance. Two I used spotters.

tinytim Thanks this.
  5. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    HAHAHAHAHAH~! Yep, GOOD one! LoLoL... have fun with DAT, you U-turners~!~! :)

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  6. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Don't expect them to even see you. With the amount of distracted driving today make sure you have time to make it without relying on other traffic to see you. That's how people die. And it's not just u-turns, the guys coming off the shoulder or turning onto a busy road with traffic coming are taking a huge chance.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  7. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Like this Fed-Ex guy?

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  8. SteveBausch

SteveBausch Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I have my GPS configured to allow/suggest U-turns, mostly to alert me that I may have missed a turn.

The difficulty of this topic is crafting a programmatic approach. Lots of variables to consider.

Let's see...

If a cop is not directing, never on an interstate.
    Never on unfrozen soil.
    Never ignore overhead utility wires.
    Never in a panic.
    Be willing to shorten up your sliding tandems.
    Keep the trailer tail well away from utility poles, vehicles, and buildings.
    Starting the U-turn with tractor-trailer somewhat in a jackknife (crank the steering wheel, go forward, opposite-lock the steering wheel, back up) and then gradually releasing the jacknife (during the turn) is less likely to damage equipment, compared to "tighter, tighter, tighter, tighter, oops!".

Nowadays, the fairings on the tractor demand greater attention to ground clearance, jacknife angle, etc.

But the good news is your GPS should give you visibility of the local streets, provide a re-route, etc.

Just don't panic. Your company would prefer you risk a ticket for blocking traffic over sending a wrecker.

I assume...

91B20H8 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  9. Boattlebot

Boattlebot Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2016
    Funniest thing I've read sense that person talking about some girl taking a crap in a hard hat

10. Wallyjr

Wallyjr Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2017
    It is illegal to make a u-turn in a commercial vehicle....if you are at a low bridge call law enforcement for assistance...cause anytime you make a u turn and an accident happens you are automatically at fault!!!

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  11. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Well its kind of like turning a blind side into a driver side / sight side and visa versa..

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.