Load levelers for dummies (me)

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Kyle G., Aug 20, 2022.

1. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Can you step deck people please educate me on load levelers? I know they exist but I’ve never seen them up close in person. We have a Transcraft aluminum step deck and I’d like to get a couple for it. I’ve always just made my own out of pallets or whatever but I feel like that’s more work than I need to be doing.

Do they attach to the deck or lock into the stake pockets or what? Do you leave them up when empty or do you have to stow them somehow? And where is the best place to order them? Pictures would be great! I will have to convince my boss to order them but he’s an even bigger idiot than me so it may take some prodding.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Just be careful which ones you pick. If your trailer manufacturer offers them buy those. The only reason I say that is I’ve seen lots of guys refused pipe and long steel loads over the past few years because of their levellers. Homemade ones and sketchy looking stuff they won’t load. Anything with a manufacturers tag or a weight rating on you should be good. We have shipper responsibility here and they’re a little lawsuit shy. And get 2, one works to prop the end of a 20’ can up on the kick or something, but they’ll want 2 under pipe or long steel.

Bean Jr., CAXPT, D.Tibbitt and 3 others Thank this.
  4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
  5. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Bought a combo ramp/leveller kit last week on advice from a year or 2 ago from @PSM379

i have had a bunch of just load leveller’s in the past/ they are pretty straightforward; though As I recall reitnour has a two piece version the drops into the J track. I’m not sure offhand of any other brands that do the same.

Most important imo is be sure you get the right height drop. Ie the ones i just got the trailer has a 24” step height/ some trailers are as little as 16”, a lot seem to be 18”; i have a 20” on some of the trailers I have had//
    I have been buying them from discount ramps. Just add a com and youll find them. They’re alright as far as what they have available.

6. Kyle G.

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I didn’t think about a ramp combo... that could certainly come in handy if we could get a forklift or moffett onto the trailer.

7. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Just watch, I’ve actually walked past 3 trucks now in truck stops and they didn’t have them chained down. I can only imagine how fast it would crack.

8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Make sure ur step is built to have ramps because not all of them are... Theres a round "channel" (for lack of a better term) where the ramp end would sit flush into the trailer and then a pin is inserted to keep it from falling and moving..

I have witnessed the attempts of drivers using ramps on stepdecks that arent set up for it and its not pretty... Although i cant say it cant be done.. Its just dangerous and sketchy, and I certainly wont be in the drivers seat of the equipment being loaded, and make sure whoever is , signs a waiver saying all damage is on them from that point forward. and then grab the popcorn and enjoy some free entertainment :biggrin_25523:

Heres a pic. The ramp end falls flush into there and then a pin is put thru the hold the ramp in place
    Screenshot_20220820-112557.png

9. Kyle G.

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Our step doesn’t have that, it just has 3 rectangular holes on the very tail of the deck that I always assumed were for ramps. I don’t have a pic but they basically look like stake pockets, but you can’t hook anything to them so I can’t figure out what else they could be for.

10. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

betcha $20 they aint for ramps.

all new mac stepdecks come with the saddles from the factory anymore.

let me see if I have a pic you can see them in.

A05A242A-EF09-4DC8-9DB9-37D57FBF46B7.jpeg

@D.Tibbitt
    Idk man the way them ones are hanging off the nose like that from the top deck.... sure the machine wouldnt won’t rip those saddles off and crash riding down with the huge set of balls the operator would have to have?

OLDSKOOLERnWV, CAXPT, Feedman and 5 others Thank this.
  11. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    When you don’t have ramps, or anywhere to hook them. But insist on putting that 3rd truck on anyway. 9F6A6707-4E1F-4011-9F44-E4DC7203DCB8.jpeg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.