Logging

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Crossbones, Apr 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Yes so funny when one retired drivers basically calls another driver a liar (send him officer's badge number, citation number etc so he can verify it is the truth) then advocates other current drivers should lie on their record of duty statuses and when they are found to be lying on their RODs by the DOT officer, just exercise your 5th Amendment rights to continue the lie and hope you pass inspection.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Yes I seen that. False logs is a big deal with the FMCSA. That image is hard to read. Here is what the violation was. (False report of drivers record of duty status. DRIVER CLAIMED OFF DUTY THROUGH OUT LOG BOOK INSTEAD OF SLEEPER WHEN IN THE SLEEPER.) The way I am interpreting this is the officer was looking for line 2 entries and found none in the drivers log book. I am going to make that call I spoke to you about in our PM last night. I am also going to ask about this with some others as well. I am also took aback by the fact this officer issued no ticket. False log tickets can be a great source of revenue. Instead the officer just made it an inspection violation. This speaks volumes to me about this officers state of mind.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  4. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    IMO this doesn't even make sense. just another DOT officer making up charges to appease his boss and hoping the driver won't bother fighting it.

IF you MUST log 8 hrs sleeper birth [I DON'T BELIEVE THIS] on a 10 hr break and you leave to go potty you are in violation whether you log it or not.

5. scottied67

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    There's no need to write a monetary fine. You first have to understand how bad 21 points on the CSA is, then you will know why the officer didn't write a ticket to further skewer the driver here.

21 points is what you get with a seat belt CSA violation. Most companies automatically fire a driver for a seat belt violation because of the 21 point hit to their CSA score. So you can see if a driver lost their job due to this it is going to cost in the several thousands of dollars before they get another job, if at all with the fresh PSP violation on their record. This is why it is important to conduct your time out here as a professional driver all the way up to pro standards and know that green book inside out.

Now, I admit a logbook violation of this sort is chickenspit compared to a seat belt or load securement violation. But it is on the books and drivers need to know how to properly log their time according to Hoyle to stay out of trouble. It does fall under the Fatigued category and makes a driver look like they are less than serious about their job, just like a light burned out or a leaking tire or something most would consider chickenspit.

Once again, I encourage all drivers to buckle down the week before the June 2018 Safety Blitz and log your time very carefully according to the regulations. Later, when the Blitz week is over, you can go back to doing what you did before, but understand, later in a fatality crash all things logged illegally might come back to bite you hard.

6. scottied67

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Understand, under the CSA environment, fighting the violation sends it right directly back to the original officer who wrote the violation. The chances of him or her agreeing that they made a mistake on this violation is big fat zero and the violation will stand even if you fight it. This is a no-win situation that is preventable by simply logging in the sleeper when you are in it, and logging off duty when you are not in it.

There is nothing in the book saying you must log 8 hours in the sleeper to achieve a 10 hour rest period.

So many people get confused between Team requirements and Split Sleeper Provision which are different than a solo driver's typical 10 hour rest requirement which can be done any combination of off duty and sleeper.

7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    This officer actually was smart. He knew better then issue a ticket, notice he only issued a violation and it almost takes an act of Congress to remove this. False logs are considered so serious a driver can be put in jail. Yet no ticket? See my point? That violation is actually more noticeable for what is missing then just that violation. I am going to the VA early in the AM for a treatment. I have printed a copy of that inspection out. I am going to show it to a guy that also gets treatments there that is a Virginia DOT cop. I'm eager to hear what he thinks.

8. REALITY098765

Sep 17, 2017

THIS is not for you moose.

9. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    It is not that difficult to just log it as you do it.

10. scottied67

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Yeah, but we are talking about truck drivers here lol. I talked with a driver who says the 35 miles per hour right lane truck lane on the Grapevine is only for loaded trucks. He said empty trucks can use the other lanes and go down 55 if they want to.

I see nothing on the side of the road down there saying that at all but truckers who sit 10 hours a day in the seat talking to themselves all day will convince themselves that their ridiculous ideas are true lol

11. REALITY098765

Sep 17, 2017
    YUP 10 hrs straight off duty, no fuss no mess any thing else would be a violation. IMO of course.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.