Looking at Mercer

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by Steve3662, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Steve3662

Steve3662 Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Mt Juliet, TN
    I am currently looking to move a couple of our older trucks that we are replacing. I have narrowed it down to a few companies to haul flatbed. Mercer is one of those companies I am looking at. We will be moving at least three trucks this year. These trucks are being moved because of California EPA laws. They are good trucks just can't go to California after January 1st 2014. How is Mercer for someone who would run a small fleet with? We currently pay the drivers by the mile but I will be hiring flatbed drivers for this. Would it be better to pay by percentage or by the mile? When I drove flatbed years ago I was paid percentage. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have read a lot of threads on Mercer and it is actually at the top of my list to move these trucks too.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jseney12078

Jseney12078 Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Gloversville, NY
    I have a friend that just started there and thinking about moving myself. He loves it! Very proffessional, all O/O. After reading this site sounds like a no brainer.

4. flatbed22

flatbed22 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Wesley Chapel, NC
    I myself have 1 truck with Mercer and moving another over in March. I don't have much information for you but I do know most fleet owners here pay 30%-35% of gross less fuel to their drivers. Me personally I've found that my guys keep my cost down while on percentage and focus more on profit. You already know this of course. I will be curious to see if any fleet owners reply.

5. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    Slow time of year at almost any company especially flatbeds.
    Will mention, Mercer is mostly flatbed freight. Alot of guys come here with steps then regret it. Landstar is more of a stepdeck company than Mercer.

6. Jseney12078

Jseney12078 Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Gloversville, NY
    Yeah Flightline, they tell you that straight up when your trying to decide which type of flatbed to purchase. I have another friend that pulls Rocket booster from Ca to Fl. Once a month. He's oversize both ways. Takes 19 days round trip. Then he's stuck their till the next one. can't do much with a specialized tr and tractor 217' long weighting 121k. Occaisionally goes to space x but not very often.

7. Steve3662

Steve3662 Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Mt Juliet, TN
    I am planning on flatbed. I haven't even looked at a step deck because I have hauled a step deck before and missed out on a lot of loads because of it. I am not even considering landstar. My conversation didnt go far with them when I told them we had 9 trucks and I wasn't going to bring all of them over there. They wanted all or nothing and that's not going to happen. We will not take trucks away from FedEx it is good steady money there running teams. Solo at FedEx isn't that great unless you have a dedicated solo run. All of our dedicated are team runs. So I am moving these older trucks to a company running flatbed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.