Looking for advice running team refer

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Zjtrukr, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Zjtrukr

Zjtrukr Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2017
    My brother and I have been talking for a while about running as a team. I have 10 years exp with the last 4 in the oilfield. He has 2 years OTR and local with Sysco. I would like to buy a new truck and lease a trailer. We would be looking for a dispatcher that can keep us running, and hope to pick up our own customers along the way.

I have enough saved for a down payment on a truck and to keep us bankrolled for the first couple months while we wait for invoices to come in. I would like to run really hard when the seasonal rates are peaking and slow down when the rates aren't so good.

We are also open to working for a company if they can get us through Lincoln, NE once a week. Another option would be working for an O/O that's looking to drive less and willing to mentor us.

If anyone can chime in with any advice I'd sure appreciate it! Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Become a member of www.OOIDA.com which is a business website for the owner-operator.

4. Zjtrukr

Zjtrukr Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Hey Chinatown, I know a little bit about OOIDA from my OTR days listening to Road Dog Trucking on Sirius... I will sign up.

Where do you spend time overseas? I lived/traveled around SEA for a year and met my GF in Singapore. I travel there 2-3 times a year.

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I was a member of OOIDA for 25 years, but never had the desire to be an owner-operator. Learned a lot by being a member; good stuff even for company drivers.
    Right now I'm sitting at my computer in Beijing. Don't like Beijing at all. Just returned from a train trip to my wife's hometown and really love those smaller towns/cities.
    Almost went to work in Singapore a few years ago as a merchant seaman, but the wife wouldn't move there.
    You plan to bring your girlfriend to the USA? There's several guys that post on here with Oriental wife or girlfriend.

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Are you familiar with "iTalkBB"? If not, check it out online. My wife calls her parents from Las Vegas and it's billed as a local call. I use my old Tennessee phone number, so it like she's calling from our old Tennessee address to another local address in the same town. To be more clear, it cost $2.00 a month plus $.02 cents per minute. Ours totals about $14.00 a month.
    We moved to Nevada from Tennessee.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  7. Zjtrukr

Zjtrukr Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2017
    I've only been through the Beijing airport, never got around to traveling in China (outside of HK/Macau) but I've always wanted to.

I don't really have stable career options here outside of North Dakota... and don't want to bring her here, she would hate the weather(as do I, and that's why i'm looking to turn the page).

Never heard of the app, i'll look into it.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    We moved to Las Vegas mainly for the good year round weather and affordable homes. Pretty good sized Chinatown there also. www.propertyvegas.com

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  9. Ben Grinev

Ben Grinev Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2016
    From my experience in doing reefer on the eastern side, I would say it would be hard to run as a team because they are STRICT on appts, and waiting 5+ hrs for a reefer team is big money lost compared to a single driver. I think flatbed would work better for a team because a lot is open delivery FCFS. But I don't know how seasonal flatbed is on the eastern side of.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.