Looking for greener grass

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by OTH T&L, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Eamac2004

Eamac2004 Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Ive had some really good jobs, ive had some really bad jobs. The best jobs ive had were working for smaller owner operators with 5 or less trucks. Guys who still drove with a good thing going based on hard work. The drawback to that side of trucking is you will be gone from home ALOT, you will sometimes have to work on your truck on the side of the road. The benefit of driving a job like this is you will learn the tools of being a successful O/O, and have acquired a business plan and a solid understanding of how to develop a customer base.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    You don't have the minimum post count yet. When you get to 7, the door will magically open and you can "Start a Conversation", which is our version of Private Messaging.

For those who may say, "I've got quadruple-digit posts, why can't I start a conversation?" The answer is this: you've had that portal closed for various reasons.

Aamcotrans Thanks this.
  4. asphaltcowboy4x4

asphaltcowboy4x4 Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2018
    So what are you taking home? After everything?? I don’t know what you mean by personal?? Like what’s the pay here after truck insurance plates fuel and all that stuff

5. asphaltcowboy4x4

asphaltcowboy4x4 Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2018
    You can take that truck elsewhere look into landstar or Mercer

6. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Where are you from and where are you running?

Because if you're hanging out on the west coast, there's a big chunk of your problem right there.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  7. preaching to the choir..

8. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Based STRICTLY on this post.
    It looks to me like you're still running like a company driver. In the FEW times I've been into some of the broker sites. I've been able to find multiple loads that could have been booked. Within reasonable driving times of my last drop.
    SO that I could have a pre plan ready to go.

But, OPUS, is willing to work with you. Go for it. Take the help, learn.

9. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    my grandpa had a little twist to his advice, which was very similar.

It may be greener, but how much of that is fertilizer?

D.Tibbitt and Eamac2004 Thank this.
  10. Eamac2004

Jan 20, 2015
    Exactly. Its truckin lol

11. Eamac2004

Jan 20, 2015
    Also never burn a bridge with an owner operator. Its surprising to me years later, my former bosses remain in contact with me if they have a hot load they cant pull. Thats how o/oing works. You build relationships with people from all over. Some of those o/os will become brokers and feed you honey #### knowing youll make them look good. As a company driver, its not too early to start. Just be as friendly as you can to customers. Some of these places can be difficult to get into under a new mc. If they remember you, you have a chance to get the bid. Having your own company is very favor for a favor amongst small companies. Develop good relationships and you may be one of the 10% still running in year 2.

misterG Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.