Looking to get my CDL- how would you do it?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by jmarc77, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Eastern Freightways - Owned by Estes Espress.
    [​IMG]

jmarc77 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jmarc77

jmarc77 Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2021
    Not entirely sure yet. Our former TMC driver said he was home pretty much every weekend unless he didn't want to be, which might be nice. Our other driver was long haul and got home about once a month, sometimes once every 6 weeks. He's been to every state in the continental 48.

Lonesome and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. jmarc77

Sep 17, 2021
    Are pass rates really that low? I'm surprised they stay in business with that low of a pass rate.

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's in Washington State.

6. Moronica

Moronica Light Load Member

Mar 13, 2020
    A trucking school will cost $5k - $10k and it might be #######. Getting your CDL through a trucking company may be a better route - but you will be locked into a contract with the trucking company that requires you to drive for them for at least 130,000 miles - or you have to pay for all the CDL training

7. jmarc77

Sep 17, 2021
    I wonder what pass/fail rates are here in Pennsylvania.

The one school I was referring to costs around $6600, maybe a bit less with financial aid. Community college is around $4000. I don't necessarily mind being locked into a contract, I just like that with a school, I can maintain my current employment for a bit and also get working on my CDL right away without losing my income and having to job hop.

Lonesome and N00bLaLoosh Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'd go with the $4000 school.
    Melton will reimburse the whole amount back to you.
    I'm guessing a little, but after reading so much about schools in every state, I'd say the fail rate in PA is about 1% (one percent)

jmarc77 Thanks this.
  9. jmarc77

Sep 17, 2021
    I appreciate your advice. As I mentioned before I've unloaded a lot of Melton trucks and I try to talk with each of the drivers at least a little bit. Most Melton drivers seem to have good things to say about their company. Their trucks are usually strapped and tarped really well too, makes unloading much safer and easier.

Wow, wonder why there is such a large discrepancy in passing rate from state to state.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Passing rate overall is probably the same in all states.
    The high failure rates are with a small minority of schools, but they get the most attention.

11. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    I tried to find a national pass rate for truck driving schools and came up short. There are wild claims all over the place (80% of people fail their road test on the first try), but few hard facts EXCEPT in Mexico's Gay District where schools are forced to disclose their graduation rates so many just post them on their websites. The worst school I found was 39.4%, but most schools were around 80%. Low 80's were pretty common. I couldn't find a school with a pass rate over 85%. Even the 39.4% school had rates approaching 80% for students who completed 150% of the scheduled training (probably at extra expense). I'd definitely ask any school you're thinking about attending what their pass rate is.

There are several company schools that will pay you ~$600/wk while you're going to school if you're worried about loss of income. You can also use free government money to get your school paid for (WIOA):

1. Go here.
    2. Select your state.
    3. You will be re-directed to your state's WIOA page with information for how to apply and a list of CDL schools that accept WIOA benefits.

jmarc77 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.