Looks like OTR is it.......

Discussion in 'TMC' started by Toona67, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Toona67

Toona67 Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I had forgotten that I started this thread and just stumbled back on it. lol
    Too update everyone on how things are going, here is the condensed version...(keep in mind I tend to be wordy so it might not see REAL condensed!!) :)

Went to Des Moines Dec 6 to settle into the hotel and start orientation on Dec 7.
    Spent the week there doing the usual paperwork an such as well as their required online testing for their records. Took securement class that Thursday and headed home Friday afternoon. So orientation was, as the recruiter said, 1 week total for me with my background. Another gentlemen there with me also had 1 week but had to spend 4 weeks with a trainer as he had no flatbed experience.
    Supposed to meet my trainer Dec 13 to start training....he was in Indy waiting on maintenance to finish his full service and did not get routed back up to OH for us to meet until Tuesday. At that point we picked up a load to Waterloo, IA and then immediately were routed to Des Moines for their maintenance department to fix some things that Indy said they could not......the first week was FUBAR!!!
    2nd week, was Christmas week so we only got in like 3 days because he was not a holiday driver this year....suited me fine anyhow.
    Because of the short work weeks and lack of time to see various loads I requested training to allow me to stay out this week with a trainer as well to make sure that I was ready for most the common items, they and my trainer agreed.
    The loads this week were only able to be run by teams and what a miserable week for both of us. lol Caught the big snow storm in MN, IA on Monday and had to shut down early and then ran hell bent for leather (@ 62mph) for Greenville, SC. It is nearly impossible to sleep in the top bunk while running 77 through Beckley...just sayin'!! :p
    On the way home Thursday the 76 turnpike was shut down due to an accident and we jumped on 376 to skirt around it....I forgot that they were pulling the bridge down and that was routing everyone up route 8 through town and back onto he highway.....my trainer learned that I can still drive in city traffic and being in the Pittsburgh area the last 6 years helped with knowing where we were navigating too.
    Tomorrow, I head down to West Columbia, SC to do my release class and pick up my truck and then head off on my own. The only real accessory I have bought so far is a Garmin Dezl 770 to mount and I plan to evaluate the layout and pick up a microwave and cooler or fridge later this week or when I get back from my first time out.

That is where I am on this and if anyone has any questions for me while they are still fresh in my mind, feel free to post them here and I will try to remember to check it a bit more often.
    Hope everyone has a safe and happy New Year.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Highway Sailor

Highway Sailor Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Erie,Pa.
    Good Job man....If you get a 579 it will have a 1800 watt inverter. If you don't need a lot of floor space I put a 2.7cu ft refrigerator behind the passenger seat and my microwave on top of it. I use a 3/4 inch strap to hold them together. It blocks the two storage doors but I put stuff in them that I don't need to access every day. Be safe.

Toona67 Thanks this.
  4. Toona67

Oct 23, 2015
    I did not check the cubby hole above the heater controls in the sleeper, is that big enough to put a small microwave in? Isn't there supposed to be a plug up there for one? Thought I saw that on one of the you tube videos on TMC. I know my trainer kept his microwave in one of the cupboards and took it out and plugged it in when he used it and just put it away each time.
    Either way it is no big deal, thanks again for all the help you have been. Maybe run into you some time, I do not get to Erie often but would like to try and catch a Sea Wolves game this summer and it is only a couple of hours from Canonsburg where I live.

5. Highway Sailor

Nov 23, 2011
    Erie,Pa.
    The truck I have does have a plug in that cubby hole I keep a printer there, but I think it might be too small for a microwave. I know a driver thay kept it in a cupboard also.

Toona67 Thanks this.
  6. TruckerVinny

TruckerVinny Medium Load Member

Dec 10, 2015
    Ohio
    I am not hired yet, app in and waiting. Thanks for a good thread to read and learn from! The whole grass thing is very familiar to me from my Infantry days. Do they do police call as well? That's a Army joke. Anyways, safe travels and thanks again!

7. Toona67

Oct 23, 2015
    As a follow up to this, I purchased a Danby microwave at HH Gregg a couple weeks ago, smallest I could find. I had to put a 2" lift under it so the door would open but it works just great up in that cubby hole. I would like to see how you have your fridge/micro set up in your truck. I have been scratching my head looking around my 579 and am not sure how you would position it so as to still have access to the bottom cabinets.
    On a different note, I think I met one of your former trainees when I went down for my release class. His name is Zach and is from the Butler area. He mentioned that his trainer had a fridge with a microwave strapped down to it......I thought, hmmmmmm. lol

8. Highway Sailor

Nov 23, 2011
    Erie,Pa.
    I have the fridge door pointing towards the other cabinet. As well as the microwave on top. Both units strapped together. I also use a plug strip attached to the microwave to plug both units in. When I make coffee I can set the maker on top of the microwave and plug it into the plug strip. I have the plug strip plugged into the plug at the tv. When the microwave is not in use I keep it unplugged to help reduce drain on the batteries when parked and truck off. When I need to get into any of the cupboards that are being blocked by the microwave and fridge I can lift them up by the microwave and move them towards the other cabinets. I only keep items in those cabinets that I don't require access every day. It works well for me. With the fridge I have a place mat overhanging the back of the fridge to prevent any damage to the cabinet door. Be Safe

Toona67 Thanks this.
  9. Highway Sailor

Nov 23, 2011
    Erie,Pa.
    As a side note..When you drive in a lot with big ruts take your time, and you may want to hold on to the fridge with one hand because it's going to want to do a dance.

Toona67 Thanks this.
  10. Toona67

Oct 23, 2015
    Like the lot at the Flying J at the 215 on I-80? ....What a disaster that asphalt is. lol
    I bought a coleman 12V electric cooler that i keep on the top bunk at the moment. It is a little too big to fit in one of the cabinets as I had hoped to do with it and it is too tall to sit on the mattress folded with the bunk flipped up so it kind of sucks. I am not sure that the room I will lose with a fridge will be worth the trade off for me though.
    I appreciate your input buddy, thanks a lot.

11. Highway Sailor

Nov 23, 2011
    Erie,Pa.
    Any time...I started out with the coleman cooler when I had a 379. It worked well in the winter and cooler months, but in the summer it was poor. If you put it on the floor to your passenger side that's about how much space you will take up. And if you go with a fridge go with a 2.7cf that's the max they allow. I think they have a article in drivers connection.

Toona67 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.