lost my wallet

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dover, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Dover

Dover Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Grand Rapids, MI
    can you legally drive with a photocopy of your drivers license and medical card. the SOS is closed for the holiday and i need to go to work. i looked everywhere and can't find that stupid wallet any help would be appreciated thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    A police report will work,

from past experiences...........

4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    You need a CDL in your possession to drive a CMV. But, there are people on here who will say "no big deal, just give them your License #" and they'll run it and verify it.

5. TankerYankr

TankerYankr Medium Load Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Central US
    No you need the actual documents in your posession.

DRIVING WITHOUT A VALID CDL IN YOUR POSESSION IS NOW ONE OF BIG HARD HIT INFRACTIONS.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
    spuddatruckdriver Thanks this.
  6. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Northern California
    Never been in a CMV without my CDL, but I did get stopped in my POV (no citation, thank goodness) and I did not have my wallet. Gave him the number, and the officer had me verify from memory as much info as I could to prove that the ID # was mine. Suited that officer just fine in my POV, but do not think that would work as well in CMV.

spuddatruckdriver Thanks this.
  7. o.m.d.

o.m.d. Heavy Load Member

Aug 15, 2010
    massachusetts
    get a copy and just explain what happened. i had the same thing happened to me last summer. thankfully i found it at one of the stores i hit twice a week, actually one of the employee's turned it in. still had my 85 bucks in the wallet and all my stuff. they found a business card and called my company who then in turn called me. i was so happy that day because it had been a few days until i got that call.

8. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    What they said. Also, if you had your credit cards in it, get busy. And you might want to keep on top of your credit score in case somebody decides to steal your identity.

Not a fun position to be in.

9. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    I lost my wallet 700 miles from home while working for Knight. I risked it and delivered my load 100 miles from home. Then I told my safety director and he had me drop the trailer at a customer and bobtail back to the yard. Of course it was a three day holiday weekend and I had to wait until Tuesday for the DMV to open.

If your bobtailing then it's on you. If your pulling a load and generating revenue then your operating under a whole different set of rules. Operating a CMV while engaged in Interstate Commerce and not being in possession of your CDL and medical card is a very big deal and one that you should avoid at all costs.

My story after the fact to Knight was...well I discovered my wallet while delivering my load. What if I had lost it further away? They said I would be bobtailing home without pay to get replacements. But that was a long time ago when Knight and I worked hard for each other. More than likely most companies will put you on a Greyhound home and then another Greyhound to get back to the truck.

Don't lose your wallet and if you do, don't do it far from home.

10. Dover

Dover Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Grand Rapids, MI
    i ended up finding my wallet thank goodness. but i talked to my saftey director at work and what he told me was that its fine to run with a photocopy of it just the cops might frown on it. thank goodness also he had a spare medical card on him also. so in the end it all worked out, i did,t get pulled over and made it home safley and will have m wallet on me thank. thanks for all your replies.

Hitman Thanks this.
  11. Hitman

Hitman Mr. Gamer

Sep 5, 2006
    Tioga, PA
    Glad to hear you got your wallet back. I lost mine like 25 years ago, bought a chain wallet and haven't lost it since.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.