LTL Packing list (linehauls)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Mar 19, 2013.

1. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I've been running linehauls for a little under a year now. Here are some items that I wish I packed with me on Day #1. I will skip the mandatory items (CDL, DOT Physical, ect). If anyone of you more seasoned drivers wants to add something, please go for it.

Carried on person between trips:
    Mobile (preferably a smartphone with GPS features of some sort, calculator, flashlight app, and alarm clock app)
    Mobile charger (both vehicle and wallcharger)
    Headset (mandatory now if you want to talk while your vehicle is in motion)
    Headset charger
    Notepads (pocket size for writing down trailer/con gear numbers)
    Some form of zipable/closeable binder for your logs, extra notepads, manifests, spare truck key, ect
    At least four pens (one in the truck, two in your pocket, one in your binder)
    Extra logbooks/DVIR in case you get laid over during a changeover of the month
    Small bag with change of clothing & personal hygiene items for planned/unplanned layovers
    Coat of some sort
    MP3 player & aux cable (if your radio has a aux plug-in, also good to have to plug in your mobile for the navigation feature).
    $20 in cash

Utility bag with the following contents:
    Small hammer for thumping tires and using a bit of force for hard to connect gladhands
    5 lbs metal mallet (for unlocking brakes in the winter)
    Extra gladhand covers (I carry two)
    Leatherman/Gerber multi-tool
    One pair of light gloves, one pair of cow leather heavy gloves (for putting on chains)
    Two adjustable wrenches
    WD-40
    Roll of duct tape
    Paper towels
    Headlamp & small flashlight
    Small pharmaceuticals such as anti-acid, non-prescription pain meds and sleep aids
    Disposable camera if your mobile doesn't have a camera option
    Clear safety glasses/sunglasses
    Enough food/water for at least one full day

In/on the truck at all times:
    Extra electrical cords (at least one back-up for each primary, I carry a total of 6)
    Chains (when mandated in your state)
    Extra fifth-wheel puller
    Two packs of pro stickers if you get tagged with P&D
    Extra trailer seals & blank BOLs
    Small road atlas (if you don't have a smartphone and are planning to visit a new terminal
    A cheat sheet with terminal numbers/gate codes/essential phone numbers
    Spare truck key that can be secured under the hood of the truck in case you lock yourself out
    Extra cam wrenches for tightening your chains
    20 yards of cargo securement ropes
    Two rolls of toilet paper
    Reflective vest
    Small trash bags (or shopping bags)
    HazMat Guide/Emergency Response Guide/FMCSA "Green Book"
    Spare placards for the most common transported HazMat items

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. One_tooth_wonder

One_tooth_wonder Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Cleveland, TX
    My local driver packing list is crammed into a duffel bag and five gal bucket because the co. like to make you play musical trucks.

Goes as follows:

small pillow in case i get tired and must take a short daycab nap
    spare bulbs/fuses
    basic tool set
    local metro map and state map
    two liter jug of water
    two days of food
    $20
    pack of smokes and lighter
    extra gloves
    light rain pancho
    extra set of clothes in case get dirty/layover/rain/shart yourself
    couple advil
    mini maglight
    32 oz empty gatorade bottle
    few fastfood napkins
    tire pressure gauge
    can of pepper spray

and probably a little more I can't think of off hand.

quetzalcoatl and road_runner Thank this.
  4. Go Hawks

Go Hawks Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Here and there
    Zip ties are one of those things that you always kick yourself for not having when you need them.

carl320 Thanks this.
  5. Marksteven

Marksteven Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bumble Fxxx
    Wow, you guys pack Heavy! I dont slip seat so i leave a uniform jacket and reflective vest in the cab at all times as well as the Hazmat manuals. The company provides every driver with a Droid smart phone so we can photograph our bills and send them to billing after each pickup. that phone is always in the cab. I charge and bring my Iphone daily. I have a huge stack of Placards in the truck since i haul hazmat daily. I have a bucket of salt and 2 bags of cat litter for the winter getting un-stuckies. Then i carry a backpack with an extra pair of gloves, heat packs, Small soft cooler that holds 2 bottles of water, a freeze pack and some granola bars. I dont eat on the road, if i get hungry i raid a vending machine for some pretzels. I also carry a clipboard with my paysheets, and unloading dock manifests. thats about it. My first and last stop is usually 15min. from my terminal. Man i am SPOILED!

6. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    I prefer a sog mulitool. I run team for now but have been contemplating a solo gear list. I second zip ties, good ones too not the el cheapo harbor freight ones that break especially in the winter. I like to have electrical tape, keeps lid down on electrical plug if spring is gone. I like my streamlight head lamp. Don't forget first aid supplies.

I always keep well more than $20 on my.

7. carl320

carl320 Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Somewhere, IN
    I carry salt, and since I don't have an assigned tractor I always try to choose one that has emergency digout chains. I've been stuck a few times and don't want it to happen again :biggrin_2556: Apart from that, I'm P+D so I carry locks, three local road maps, blank BOLs, medical long form, hazmat stickers, tape measure, safety glasses, flashlight and a few other things I can't remember. And I third zip-ties.

8. jakebrake12

jakebrake12 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    Holy Lord. I carry plenty of coffee, some smokes, and a blue power-aide at all times but that's about it. It's nice running the same truck every night since you can keep some tools and stuff in it.

road_runner and Big Don Thank this.
  9. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Must be nice. Like one of the other posters on here, we tend to play "musical truck" a lot. I've bolted/unbolted my CB/aerial at least half a dozen times. Good thing they give me somewhat of a heads up when it will go out for maintenance or something.

10. jakebrake12

jakebrake12 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    adrenalize _runner;3173673]Must be nice. Like one of the other posters on here, we tend to play "musical truck" a lot. I've bolted/unbolted my CB/aerial at least half a dozen times. Good thing they give me somewhat of a heads up when it will go out for maintenance or something.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know what that's like. All the damage I ever did to my box was from putting it in and taking it out. The assigned truck system they came up with is nice. I swap with a day line-haul driver where the times work out well and the truck is immaculate inside. I don't miss doing that at all - pulling the radio out every 8 weeks for the pm seems like a pain now.

11. fastSVT

fastSVT Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Louisiana
    Gloves, flashlight, smartphone, a/c charger and power inverter (I find it eliminates any road noise when playing music with auxiliary cord on whatever device is charging) smokes, company access/ID badge, aspirin, carmex, Clorox wipes, baby wipes, 52oz bubba keg full of ice water, and a binder with pay sheets, calculator, backup paper logs and a notepad. All stuffed into a duffel bag.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.