Mack anthem, scratching my head.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Trashtrucker1707, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Trashtrucker1707

Trashtrucker1707 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Does anyone else have one and if so what are your thoughts? I’m really trying to decide if I’ve got a lemon, everything rattles, the hood literally sounds like it could fall off at any time, the front end pops loud enough to scare the hell out of me, the oil cooler gasket took a crap at 30,000 miles and left me down for the entire week, the squeaks are enough to drive you mad. Can anyone help me find sanity in this rattle trap

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Might go to the 9+mpg club on Facebook, Joel Morrow might be able to help you out, he's the resident Mack expert.

4. Trashtrucker1707

Dec 30, 2017
    I don’t do Facebook, I listen to his segment on Kevin Rutherford but it only focuses on fuel mileage. I’m really hoping someone is experiencing the same issues, the local mack dealer has no answers, it’s like they’ve just accepted that these trucks are not made well.

5. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Front end popping could be spring bushings. Grease them up good. Try grease or oil soaked rags on the hood bushings. Don't know what Mack uses but on my peterbilt I was very close to loosing my mind with hood squeaks until I was changing my oil one day and dropped a rag in my oil bucket. Dropped it over my hood bushings and no more squeaky squeak

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. Trashtrucker1707

Dec 30, 2017
    Thanks for the insight, mack went away from their traditional hood latches and went with a locking mechanism, the problem is that the assembly locks on to a floating shaft that has play in it and is metal on metal, the rattles are mind numbing and you’d swear the hood is going to come undone at any given moment. I’m not sure if it’s an adjustment issue or design flaw overall, Ive never in 17 years dealt with anything like it.

'88K100 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Im going to try that with my hood. I never heard a hood squeak so bad until i drove a peterbilt

LoSt_AgAiN Thanks this.
  8. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. Just draped a thin oil soaked rag over the rubber blocks. Made all the difference in the world

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  9. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Squeaky hoods have been around forever and I don't think oil or grease is a good thing for rubber.

Check the hood alignment and all rubber components related to the hood, bushings, snubbers, weather stripping.

Try roughing up the rubbers with coarse sandpaper, see if that helps.

If that don't work, get some new hood hold downs, they might be weak.

If that don't work, look at snubber replacements, maybe a different material.

If that don't work, try vaseline.

K-Y jelly might work, but being water based it would dry out pretty quick, but easy to rehydrate, a spray bottle with water in it.

If that don't work, get new bushings, new snubbers, new hold downs, smother them with vaseline and K-Y and see what happens.

If that don't work, buy a really loud stereo!

10. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Popping noise from the front end means the bushings are dry, they need to be greased up.

Hood squeaks are from no grease on the hood latching points.

Grease is cheaper than parts.

jason6541 Thanks this.
  11. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    I always take a stick and scrape some excess grease off the 5th wheel and put it on the rubber hood seats. Works great! Just don't forget to NOT grab onto it when you're climbing up to clean your windshield or check your coolant...

D.Tibbitt, lester and spsauerland Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.