Making my own APU

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Tuckster, Jan 21, 2010.

1. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    which a/c did u pick

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Called an LG. got it at home depot. 12000 btu.

4. 400c1t

400c1t Bobtail Member

Sep 7, 2017
    I have used my Honda 2000 generator for 5 years now. It sits on the rear deck when in use and goes in the headache rack when stored. I have an LG 10,000 floor ac unit that sits in the passenger seat and vents out the window. It came with an adapter that fits right in the window. Pretty cool. It drains to the ac drain on the passenger side floorboard using a clear rubber tube. I also bought a battery tender (industrial) that cost around $500. It keeps the batteries charged but only when it needs it. For heat, I have a ceramic heater that does really good down to 10 degrees or so. Any colder and I idle to keep the truck warmed up. It works great and I use about 2-3 gallons a night when it's running full throttle. I have a 5 gal steel gas can that I gravity feed from. I had to modify the gas cap with a boat gas adapter and a squeeze bulb to start the gravity feed. Also, I added a clear filter to the line so I could tell if the gravity feed is primed or not. It takes me about 5 minutes to set up or take down. Total cost is around $1600 if you don't mind pull starting it in the cold and you have to be careful in the rain because if it gets too wet, it shuts itself off until it dries out. Still working on fixing that problem.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    IMG_0487.JPG
    Rooftop a/c and heater. Run off a generator bolted to the catwalk.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.