Maxx Force 13 Engines

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Yeomen, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    This is a very complex engine and not all dealers put the right techs on the job. International was very late in getting training out for the techs aswell so their may be an issue with product knowledge at the dealer your going to. As for your down time, keep a record of your repairs and lost time. There is no written policy, and lost revenue is something warranty will never cover, but... We have a customer right now that is trading in a 2010 after a year due to on going issues. Excessive number of repairs, and they are mostly different issues each time and International is suppose to be "helping out" with the trade. I will try to find out more. Cases like this are kinda "secret" or "underground", simply because there are no policies and it goes case by case. In general for your case I doubt anything like that will be done since the truck still very low km. If your losses are to the point where they are very financially damaging, again arm yourself with paper work. REMAIN CALM AND PROFESSIONAL!!! The instant you start to get rude and out of line you will severely reduce your chances. But anyways, talk to the dealership service manager. Ask to get the local International Customer Service rep involved and see if you can arrange a meeting and talk about it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dutch

Dutch Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Commiefornia
    Thanks, they did complete all the afc's. They are working with international on the issue right now, the dealer has to do some diag tests. Its hard to say bc im not there working on the truck but double check the fuel system, in case something happened during the pump swap.

4. Dutch

Dutch Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Commiefornia
    Ya, as heavyd said these engines are complex. Some dealers see them everyday vs others who see maybe see 2-5 a month and dont have the experience on them. Also like heavyd said ask to get the Cust. Service Engineer involved.

5. lv gn

lv gn Heavy Load Member

Jun 23, 2008
    las vegas nv.
    When the injection pump went out on the 2011 I was driving, it put a ton of metal in the drivers side tank. Look for this before u leave the dealer or they will tell you, your got a bad load of fuel somewhere.

6. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I have a '12 Prostar w/13L engine...this truck should be donated to Mythbusters so they can blow it up!! Within 40k miles, I have been in the shop 4 times. I have the startup stutter(hot or cold, wait to start or just crank), I get the MIL (yellow engine light) for no reason. They say it's a vehicle overspeed, but the last 2 times it was off when I went to bed, came on when I went to leave the next morning.(guess I was sleeping too fast), when it went in for routine B service the 'change engine oil' message won't clear. I have had 2 company shops, 2 dealer shops, and I have cleared it 5 times. At next engine start, it comes back. Our company uses the OnGuard system, after the latest ECM update, if you're over the set speed of the cruise(say coasting downhill), and it picks up a vehicle ahead of you -say changing lanes(regardless of their speed) the cruise doesn't resume until 50-55mph(even when the other vehicle has gotten out of range). I have had it drop all the way to 45 mph a time or two...if you catch it doing this and touch the gas pedal, it picks up fine. I have also had issues with the 'no-idle heat' control unit that is connected to the engine. The rear blower puts out heat like it should, the front randomly blows only cold air. Oh, and I almost forgot, the Jake-Brake works when it wants. Coming down a 10% grade pulling copper out of the mines in AZ...nope...It decided to take the afternoon off. Most of the drivers in our company w/new Prostars are having similar issues with the startup stutter and cruise control. While in our PA shop 2 months ago, I heard 4 drivers come on and report of exhaust smell in the cab. Turns out all 4 had exhaust leaks at the exhaust side of 1 of the turbos, and since International's engineers didn't see fit to put a fresh/recirc switch on the HVAC(only recirculates on max a/c) they were sucking exhaust right in since the fresh air vent and exhaust are on the same side. We even had 1 driver get carbon monoxide poisoning not once but twice(once from his new truck, once from a faulty dealership repair). The doctors said he was very close to having high enough levels to cause permanent brain damage. I hope he will own a major share of Internatonals profit when he is through with them.

Although the last ecm update did improve the throttle response greatly. It use to just 'mosey' up to speed, now you can at least feel a bit of a kick in the pants when you go to WOT. I know, since it's a 2 stage turbo setup, it'll never kick like the old Detroits use to, but you also don't have as much of a loss of boost at higher altitude as a single turbo either.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  7. rocket13

rocket13 Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2012
    IA
    This is a common issue. They had a bad batch of EGR inlet pipes. I would suggest that anyone that has a 2010/2011 build truck periodically check by the EGR cooler for soot (dead giveaway) and get the truck in for replacements. Other symptoms are low power and check engine lights for melted harnesses.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  8. rocket13

rocket13 Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2012
    IA
    I see they got you taken care of...bad element on the HP pump. If you ever have any other issues, let me know. I see you've just had a cooler replaced as well...only suggestion I have is NEVER let the truck run low on coolant (quickest way to cook the cooler). They screwed up the design and the cooler sits just as high as the coolant bottle, so there are issues with getting all the air out.

9. rocket13

rocket13 Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2012
    IA
    No such thing. As stated, the block is a carry-over of the 2007 emission engine, which is MANN. Unless of course you have a MaxxForce 15, which is a C15 block...

2013Maxx and double yellow Thank this.
  10. Papi1960R

Papi1960R Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Tucson,AZ
    I am now at 115K miles on my 2012 ProStar+with Maxxforce13. Its quiet, smooth and the truck is really comfortable. I have not been in the shop, BUT......
    I have absolutely no power. Our mechanics told me that when they cut back the speed to 62mph for our company the computers have to be reset with a laptop for a multitude of settings and they are not trained or authorized to do that for company drivers. They report that without the speed cutback(lease operators) they have significantly more power. They see 9-10 more company trucks in the shop than lease or owner ops.
    The trans seems to have a mind of its own. being realy smooth and easy one hour and then virtually unshiftable the next.
    Sometimes it idles for hours and others it shuts down repeatedly after 2-5 minutes.
    I love this truck, but will get out of it ASAP. Would love to get a ProStarr+ with a Cummins ISX.

11. Scania man

Scania man Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    Maxxforce are MAN engines over here, they were not known for reliability here either, I've never owned one so I can't tell you too much about them but they aren't great quality! On top of that, every manufacturer that are using egr are having problems with reliability and fuel consumption! New cat engines are also maxxforce engines, pity! I think they will damage CATs reputation!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.