Maxx Force 13 Engines

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Yeomen, Nov 18, 2010.

1. inktoxicated

inktoxicated Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2010
    south brunswick nj
    lol right on. im feeling the same way. truck is xxxxxxxx slow from a stop. takes forever to get it going, even empty. the rpms take forever to fall if i rush a shift it aint going in, if i wait to long it aint going in. sputters and hesitates sometimes getting going. cant stand driving this engine. the prostar is ok would be better if i could have a engine that would just go and shift like a normal truck. to had the mil light on a few times. then it would go away. i get the triangle sign a few times too. 150k puffing white smoke, burning coolant, smelling like coolant. as soon as the company gave me the truck and i saw the maxxforce logo on the side of the hood i was like xxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2012
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lv gn

lv gn Heavy Load Member

Jun 23, 2008
    las vegas nv.
    A lot of that hesitation and sputtering has to do with the high-pressure common fuel rail and the computer altering the fuel timing for Torque on demand

4. lv gn

lv gn Heavy Load Member

Jun 23, 2008
    las vegas nv.
    A lot of mine went away when they did the last program update but now my power windows and my cruise control have issues

5. Dutch

Dutch Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Commiefornia
    check the two 30 amp fuses over in the fuse panel bottom right hand corner and put 30 mini fuses in. When you pull the fuse cover off they tend it to get hit and spread the terminals.

6. lv gn

lv gn Heavy Load Member

Jun 23, 2008
    las vegas nv.
    Wow.! Seem to work like a charm! Thanks so much!

7. lv gn

lv gn Heavy Load Member

Jun 23, 2008
    las vegas nv.
    Dutch i see that those fuses were for the power windows does that have anything to do with the cruise control circuit at all?

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Cruise is wired from the buttons to the body controller. The body controller sends the commands electronically to the engine. It is possible to get some parameters corrupted during an ECM scorecard update. Make sure your clutch pedal is up all the way. Are you getting any cruise messages in the LCD display when you turn the cruise on? You may have to return to the dealer to see if anything got messed up during the programming.

9. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I have a Maxxfarce 13L. Sputters are the least of my problems. I have had 4 ECM updates. Each one makes things worse. The company I work for also equips these trucks with the OnGuard system. Since the 1st update, the adaptive cruise control screws up...when you go 1 mph over the set speed, and someone comes within 350 feet of the front of your truck...the cruise won't re-engage once you drop below your set speed - no matter how much faster the other vehicle was going. Now the latest update hasn't helped that, but it has caused my cruise to randomly shut off completely...with no one else around. At first I thought maybe my had had bumped the off button, but I have had it happen when I wasn't touching that side of the smart-wheel. And it isn't just disengaging, it is turning completely off. Although the 1 update did improve the off the line feel, and gave it better throttle response. Even though this truck doesn't feel like it's pulling, it'll out pull most of the company's DD15 powered Cascadia's with a heavier load.

I also just got out of the shop 2 weeks ago for an EGR valve failure.(not cooler, the actual EGR valve itself) Which I was told is another defect issue they are having. Many times the valve will develop an exhaust leak which causes hot exhaust gas to hit either a plastic air supply line, or a wiring harness.

I have also had sensor issues, the defective oil pan and gasket replaced....and even though it isn't an engine issue, I am in the shop because either the master or slave cylinder has gone out of the clutch.

My opinion...with the 8 times in 117000 miles I have been in the shop (for more than 1 or 2 days per repair) I hope this engine and this truck puts Navistar out of business!! They need to go back to building tractors and corn combines and stop building trucks.

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  10. inktoxicated

Apr 1, 2010
    south brunswick nj
    my power window goes up in 1 inch incremenets. i have to keep pushing the button to get it up. they also have my jake brake setup so it only comes on when i hit the brakes.? wth

11. inktoxicated

Apr 1, 2010
    south brunswick nj
    Just had to come back and post another rant on the maxxforce. Been with cardinal logisitics now 4-5 months. so far so good. i was givin the 2010 prostar at 130k it has 185k now. since that span its seen 3 diffreint internatioal dealers. one in linden nj one in baltimore one in haven conneticut. this last tow job was for a turbo issue. turbo started fluttering and whistling and lost all power. was puffin blue smoke for a while before this. actually the truck is always smoking white or blue. sometimes maybe even green, who knows. every trip i take with this thing i wonder if ill be strainded or not. i drove another drivers cascadia while mine was getting glued back together. god i wish i could keep that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.