May Trucking new driver training

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Honua Gal, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Dgreene21

Dgreene21 Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2017
    I am scheduled to start orientation next week at Lebanon, TN. I want to know will i be able to bobtail home for hometime. I live in GA and the nearest terminal in Lebanon is 5 hours away

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    I highly doubt you will bobtail. You'll either go home under a load, or at least take an empty with you.

p.s. You'll be doing orientation with Shad (Safety dude in Lebanon). He's a pretty cool guy.

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. Mandimax000

Mandimax000 Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2017
    You don't need a hazmat for 48 I'm a 48 driver I don't have a hazmat and I go everywhere. Mays not a hazmat company they probably only see about 10-20 hazmat required loads a year and they have specific drivers for that it's optional to get your hazmat and they will put it to use but you'll rarely maybe never see a placard load. They haul some hazmat but to the point they do not require trailer placards there for no need for a hazmat

6. Mandimax000

Mandimax000 Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2017
    As long as it's safe to park at home don't ever leave your truck at a truck stop.

7. UncleCharles

UncleCharles Bobtail Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Crestview, FL
    I'm starting my 3rd week of driving school tomorrow, bringing my 160 hours to a close.
    I've talked with May a bunch, and I will be coming to work with them, I'm all approved, just have to call when I graduate and Zena is scheduling me for orientation in Pensacola, Fl.

I've noticed all the info in the thread is pretty old, any updates and current info on how everything is going to go down?

I've heard my recruiters idea of what's going to happen, but I'd like to hear yours considering, been there done that.

Also note, I am leading my class at school, I'm catching on to things pretty quickly, the instructors are shocked. Is it possible for 2 weeks with a trainer and able to solo out?

Thanks!

8. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I used to work and "train" for May years ago. I had a "trainee" get on the truck with me. He told me the trucking school instructors told him he was the fastest learner & BACKER they ever had come through the school!

First trip out we had to drop a loaded and grab an empty at a shipper somewhere. It was at night on the weekend, no one around. They said put the loaded trailer at any dock, it was a huge facility.

I told the trainee, "since you were the best backer the school had ever seen, this will be a cinch for you."

I pointed to a dock where there were three empty spaces on either side. Jumped out of the truck and told the guy, "have at it!"

30 minutes later after frustrated attempt after frustrated attempt to get the 53' trailer into the dock straight, I had mercy on the guy and did it myself :)

UncleCharles, Lonesome and austinmike Thank this.
  9. UncleCharles

Nov 17, 2017
    Crestview, FL
    I'm not trying to toot my own horn, I was just speaking in regards of training with the company, if I get out with the trainer, and perform as I should, will he get me off his truck and get me back to solo out.

And me leading the class isn't saying much, these guys are taking 20 plus mins just to setup for the backing maneuver.

After my turn doing the maneuver, I went to piss, approx 20 mins from the pad to the bathroom, pissed, and walk back to the pad, and poor guy was still setting up.

10. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    I know people in management at May still. A couple of them told they are so desperate for drivers they are "scraping the bottom of the barrel". So, I'm sure as long as you don't do something really stupid in training, you should be able to get seated solo in a couple of weeks easily. Good luck to you!

UncleCharles Thanks this.
  11. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Btw, a lot of companies are desperate for drivers, not just May Trucking.

12. UncleCharles

Nov 17, 2017
    Crestview, FL
    True that !
    My phone has been blowing up ! Lol

Scooter Jones Thanks this.
  13. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Most companies are hard up for drivers.

That said, Pensacola doesn’t need that many. I think we had maybe 5 empty trucks (we have roughly 160) last time I checked. Turnover in OTR side of trucking is just high, for lots of different reasons.

I’m a trainer there when I want to be. I only take 3 or 4 hand picked trainees a year usually.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs