May Trucking

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Me55, Aug 12, 2019.

1. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    I am surprised you got that many short runs. My first year my runs probably averaged at least 1200 to 1500 miles. I got quite a few cross country runs. There were many runs from Denver to Portland and points northwest also. I did notice my 2nd year they weren't as long with just an occasional longer run.
    Alot of success there like anywhere seemed to depend in your DM. The first one I had was horrible and I would sit some between loads. The 2nd one I had kept me running somewhat better.
    I would have stayed but as I have said in previous posts its apparent that May could care less about keeping drivers longer than a year unless your a trainer. The new flat rate they offered just cannot compete with the pay offered by other companies. A glimpse of their FB page shows that all they value is new drivers. each weeks it's at least 50 to 60 more to replace the ones that quit. .nothing anywhere in appreciation of current drivers..its how they are set up.
    The office people there were always nice and easy to deal with as were these shop folks..as far as that goes they were fine. The $$$ is just not there after you get that year or 2 and they know this. It's a shame because they have the potential to be a good company for drivers to make a career there..but that doesnt seem to be what they want. And the people they had been hiring lately..ughh. They had really lowered their standards..Another reason they constantly drug test you your first year, and I couldn't really blame them.. They could test me every week..had nothing to hide.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    I seen some May trucks turned up a little bit from 60-61 to 62-63 now

4. jon69

jon69 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2018
    How is that measured?

Miles driven? Revenue? Or a combination of things?

5. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Probably all the above, I don’t know

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  6. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    I was literally dying of boredom at that company watching trees mature around my truck. In 173 days on the road at May trucking I made $20, 054.16. Thats $115.92 per day for a driver with 14yrs exp. :mad:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    FlaSwampRat and smokey12 Thank this.
  7. smokey12

May 30, 2012
    Yep that sounds about right. There are way too many better paying companies out there no doubt

bigblue19 Thanks this.
  8. smokey12

May 30, 2012
    They had an app that gave your rankings in the company, your terminal, your DM. When they came out with it they said they were going to offer bonuses for higher rankings but they never did..which was typical for May Trucking. Not sure all the ways they figured it. I was also regularly in the top 10% but there was not much point because there were no rewards for it at all.

jon69 Thanks this.
  9. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    I checked my pay from my 1st full yr in OTR in 1992. just a little over $35k at KLLM. In todays money thats $62.4K
    How many OTR companies are paying $62.4K per yr to a driver after yr 1? :biggrin_25512:
    It "MAY" piss some people off, but OTR is a dangerous over regulated #### show that for most these days
    just doesn't pay the wages it should in 2019 for the job required.
    Expensive fancy tech filled trucks with drivers payed less then a trainee in the 1990's driving them. Thats OTR NOW.:biggrin_25513:

Vic Firth, Frank Speak and smokey12 Thank this.
  10. smokey12

May 30, 2012
    You are definitely right. I have only been doing it 3 years and cannot believe the amount of unpaid work. An example of a May Truck Drivers life while in Denver:Arrived st receiver 8pm. Spend the night there since they have overnight parking. Get up un the morning at 0630, check in at the gate. Go to the receiver office and go thru that bs. By now its 0700, slide you tandems, fight traffic getting a door, open the rear doors, back in, by now its 0730. Wait to get unloaded. By 0945 your unloaded and called to the office. You get out of there at 1010. Walk back to your truck..pull back out of your door. Slide the tandems back all the way forward. Go to the guard shack, check back out with them, hopefully they are decent ( which most I encountered are). By now its 1030..that's 4 hours of unpaid work so far. ( May doesnt pay until u 12 an hour until after u been sitting 4 hours and lucky if you get that.

Fight traffic for 18 miles unpaid driving ( there is no parking cause your in Denver) Go find a truck stop, sit until 1315 when finally get a preplan to drive to Coors which is 16 miles away..fight that traffic and it's the same scenario all over again when you get to the shipper. By now you are finally loaded after dealing with the slushy mug bog at the Coors yard ( yay you got a 43000lb pre loaded trailer) in Golden Co. By now its 1720 hrs and you have to go.scale the load thru rush hour traffic. Your load is going to Salt Lake City Ut to be dropped at their dusty Layton yard.

You finally get the load scaled after you have waited on the phone to call in your loaded call and head to Cheyenne to spend the night. By the time you get there its 1920 . All this the same day.

Total miles you drove that day 107. If you are getting 40 cents a mile you made about 40 bucks that day for 13 hours work. Yay. You pray your next run out of Layton is at least 1200 miles so you can get a break for a day or so..

TokyoJoe, bigblue19 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  11. jon69

jon69 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2018
    All that plus you probably fueled the truck and answered/texted your phone 100 times- all that unpaid while you risked your life and were open to getting citations at weigh stations or where ever...

smokey12 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.