Mercer flatbed

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by hyboy67, Dec 14, 2008.

1. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    What about Military Contracts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jdsouza

jdsouza Heavy Load Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Port Orchard, Wa
    Does Mercer has any military Contracts

4. Lil Blue Pony

Lil Blue Pony Brown Eyed Girl

Feb 22, 2008
    yes we haul military but as far as I'm concerned it's cheep....next question

5. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    Like she said! But to be honest, our contracts aren't with the military. All military loads are contracted to a company called Menlo. Then they are distributed to trusted carriers who have DOD clearance.

Depending on the load, when it has to be delivered, who has trucks in the area, and who can haul it cheapest depict the rate.

I hauled a load out of Ft. Stewart going to Ft. Irwin paying $1.96. A month later they asked me to haul it back to Stewart at a $1.16 & told me that was a good rate, trucks were waiting to get that load. Well, give it to another truck! I'll go pull a can out of the port for $1.35.

Lil Blue Pony Thanks this.
  6. vaquero

vaquero Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Cleveland, TN
    Most of the military loads I've hauled pay around $1.30

7. roadmasteri69

roadmasteri69 Bobtail Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Dayton, Ohio
    Do any of you know a o/o leased to Mercer that would hire a recent school grad with Hazmat endorsement. I'm educated, 54 yrs old, drove tranker truck in the service 32 yrs ago. Been in sales the last 30 years traveling the midwest about 75K miles a year. The economy has almost closed my industry I had been in. Always loved driving a truck and want to do flatbed, and hate the thought of having to start with a driver mill company to get that first year in. I'm in very good shape and in better shape than men half my age. I live in the Dayton Ohio area. I'm a widower and kids in college and looking to hit the road. I read in a earlier thread a couple of fleet owners, Eli and Jerry have alot of trucks. I'm a fast learner and come from a family of contractors who have own dump trucks and trucks for hauling equipment. Would like to hear from anyone who would give a guy like me a chance and would run about anywhere you would like. I love the NE area plus Florida and west coast.

8. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I would say not likely, but you can call recruiting and ask them. They also place drivers with contractors. The one I was with wanted stick time and a lot of flatbed knowledge.

9. Gonzo_

Gonzo_ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Clayton, NC
    The military loads are tricky.. A lot depends on what base they are comming from and where it's going... How many loads are moving.. ect.. I've had some real good paying military loads! As usual the general freight pays the least.. the more special handeling, extra tarping, Oversize, Overweight, pays more.. Stepdeck, RGN, Expedited, & PSS pays even more... it all depends on where you are on the totem pole!

I've been with Mercer a bit over 5 years now. I started out with a stepdeck and switched to a RGN about a little over a year ago.. This year I've done more sitting than anything.. RGN freight has dried up.. I'm lucky I collect dissability from the VA & that pays the mortgage! My wife works full time and I don't have kids.. if it wasn't for that I wouldn't be able to afford to do this much sitting...

10. Civilservant

Civilservant Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Oklahoma City, OK
  11. joecitizen

joecitizen Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Removable Goose Neck...google rgn trailer and click images for pictures of this type of trailer

Civilservant Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.