Mercer orientation

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by jacquesi23, Jan 5, 2016.

1. TaylorMade407

TaylorMade407 Road Train Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Orlando,FL
    I see you mentioned for the coordinater to run your truck.... That'll be your first mistake. Get on the load board and study it. What I did was I look at all the loads coming and leaving my home state. Then I looked at different areas to run and so forth but look at Louisville and see what you might wanna pull then see what's coming out of that area before you commit to it. Now what you can do is tell your coordinator to look for specifics certain things and the like.

jacquesi23 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jacquesi23

jacquesi23 Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2013
    yea well I agree...however I did tell her this was only temporary that I let her run my truck so that I can pick up on her pattern...if I like it then I'll stick with it. If not then to the backseat she goes...
    That's not to say I'm not on the loadboard just as much as she is scanning freight. I gave her my preferences so she knows I'm not going certain places unless she's offering $$ I can't refuse. Even then it had better be enough for me to have to deadhead out of there if for some reason I'm having to sit for days or can't find a load out

4. jacquesi23

Jan 21, 2013
    We had a good half an hour talk an I pretty much told her my background so I feel she knows an understands she's not dealing with some guy who's only looking to run as hard as possible for peanuts on the dollar. I see where she refused a lot of different loads that sparked my interest. Some paid decent some wasn't worth the paper it was on. However, I need to get out of the mindset of running for myself.
    Some of the places she refused the loads were places I know as a independent entity I could've gotten loads out of there.
    But I'm with mercer now an just because there is "outside" brokered freight in a area of interest doesn't mean mercer will have freight there. I still have access to one of my premium load boards an I see where there are 100s of brokered loads in that area but absolutely no mercer brokered loads. I'll be honest it's gonna take a min or two for me to adjust but I'll get it.

5. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    You will do fine. Just accept you are going to make mistakes as you learn. If you did even just "ok" on your own, you will do great here.

And yep we got a lot of big houses here. think about what those big bunks cost the next time you hear someone whining they can't make any money here.

Oh hey, you mentioned lumber. You won't see very many of us pulling lumber cause lumber has always meant heavy and cheap.

And buy some felt if you don't have any. sure does beat patching tarps every weekend.

nofilter and jacquesi23 Thank this.
  6. TaylorMade407

TaylorMade407 Road Train Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Orlando,FL
    What I do is look at what's coming out of its a scratchy area like maybe a Wisconsin Minnesota or Iowa. Those places have about a 40% chance of reloading within 300 miles or less with Iowa as an exception because I'd put them up to 55% chance of reload. By all means ask questions on here about different shippers in specific cities and certain areas. But never post rates like our buddy has done a couple times.....

7. earlybird1104

earlybird1104 Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Are all u guys flatbed??
    Do u know how the van division do on $$freight

8. jacquesi23

Jan 21, 2013
    I did "ok" on my own granted the extremely high overhead I had with running your own authority.
    Just with having mercer's insurance alone is gonna put $1100 back in my pocket each month!
    Now I will be honest an say that if these companies didn't rip you a new one for trying to make a living running under your own numbers I would've stayed that way.
    An I don't even wanna talk about the paperwork side of it. Hell I did more paperwork than I did driving just to stay compliant!
    Being an independent carrier isn't a one man show...not even a two man show...
    I even had my wife involved with booking an setting up contracts an she has her own 8-5 to deal with so ultimately I didn't shut it down only for the money I shut it down because it was just overwhelming with literature (an super cheap rates) that I didn't care to deal with any longer.

9. jacquesi23

Jan 21, 2013
    Van rates are lower with pretty much any company. I won't put the specifics out there as far as mercer rates are but I can tell ya van rates will never be higher then open deck UNLESS you're some type of specialized unit or something hauling high risk high security freight

earlybird1104 Thanks this.
  10. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Yep. That's why I suspended my authority. Just way too many head aches. I hate paper work.

11. earlybird1104

earlybird1104 Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.