Mercer Question

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by jacquesi23, Dec 24, 2015.

1. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    But they still did it for a while

whoopNride Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skateboardman

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    And that's why I answered, you asked a queztion

4. TaylorMade407

TaylorMade407 Road Train Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Orlando,FL
    I think he's referring to the small 50-200 truck carrier who's cutting the rates. Them company called summerfield is who got my cousin direct.

5. jacquesi23

jacquesi23 Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2013
    I know for a fact they will slice the rates in half just to get the contract. Almost down to nothing!! However when you have 300 trucks with company drivers in them you can afford to run it for 1.30 a mile.
    Companies with O/O's not so much.
    Just their sheer volume of trucks will beat a 2 man operation out like me almost every time. U have to consider as well their overhead is nothing like ours...most of their trucks are on a lease program...which means they don't pay for any maintenance an I'm sure their getting huge discounts on insurance an etc simply because of the number of tractors

6. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    While they might have a lower operating cost I think the strategy their most likely pulling is a loss leader.

They wouldn't need to raise the rates a year after they got the contract if it was sustainable.

McDonald's sells cheeseburgers for 99 cents but they cost $1.40 to make, they make they're money back on the drink 90% of people buy for $1 that costs them 16 cents.
    The megas are making their money back on the accounts they already have.

7. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    And I'm not sure I agree with the lower operating cost theory. The large carriers have hundreds, if not thousands, of employees that aren't drivers. Plus large offices and drop yards all over the country. Just think about how much money a company like swift has tied up just in land.

CasanovaCruiser Thanks this.
  8. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Think about how much a company like Swift has tied up in lawyers! Haha my god, that legal department is probably the busiest part of that company.

whoopNride and spyder7723 Thank this.
  9. skateboardman

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    Those mega carrier rates just aren't as low as everyone thinks

10. TaylorMade407

TaylorMade407 Road Train Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Orlando,FL
    I did a project back in high school and even McDonald's don't take a loss like that. It'll cost .60-.70 cents to make a burger and factor in expenses they only profit 10 cents a burger. But they sell thousands per day. As far as megas go they generally don't take cheap freight like the consensus would think. They have to show their numbers like spyder said because they're a publicly traded comapany. Now if you wanna know who's killing you then it's the guy/small fleet that's running for peanuts just to keep rolling for whatever reason like here in Florida these guys wanna run local intrastate so they run 1.20-1.80 on short miles just to be home every night or so they don't have to leave the Southeast cause heck even Georgia is pretty much a black hole as far as rates go

11. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    There is a guy on here who has been leased to swift for a few years, he claims swifts rates are 10% higher than average... You might be right...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.