Mercer teams and team freight?

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by spectacle13, Oct 11, 2015.

1. TaylorMade407

TaylorMade407 Road Train Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Orlando,FL
    I'd say a super solo would work for you as long as the recievers are in your favor most of the time letting you unload a day early. Only issue with that is pre-booking, unless you get the recievers number a week early and ask them can you deliver early. I'd say it should work. Are you husband and wife or two buddies.

spectacle13 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    Husband wife teams are great here. But two buddies, I don't think so. You will never run 4500-6000 miles week in and week out here.You will find it very hard to pay for a truck and support 2 families. If you are both single, I still say no.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    spectacle13 Thanks this.
  4. spectacle13

spectacle13 Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Engaged couple. I couldn't share a space this small for extended periods with another guy I don't think, I'd just do solo skateboard if she wasn't with me. But we're both working, trying to build a future together. Want to pay cash for a house and land in a few years.

5. TaylorMade407

TaylorMade407 Road Train Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Orlando,FL
    In that case come here and don't look back. Just like @mtoo said husband and wife teams do great and the ones I talk to are just as happy as can be

spectacle13 Thanks this.
  6. spectacle13

Oct 19, 2013
    Thanks, will do. Waiting to get our year in over here and get our maintenance/savings built up enough where we can afford to make a solid down payment on a truck and still have savings for transitioning/incidentals

TaylorMade407 Thanks this.
  7. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    Engaged, that's great, My wife has well over a million miles at Mercer. Like I said, you will not get the miles you talk about. You will learn the system and it can work very well for you. Run the miles as team as much as you can. Pick up a great paying "team load" when you can. let the agent know when you would like to deliver. On your down times just enjoy each other.

My wife and I have been together in the truck close to 30 years. Still love it and each other.

The future for husband wife teams in this industry looks great. You can be very happy here, Welcome to Mercer.

Chickadee and spectacle13 Thank this.
  8. spectacle13

Oct 19, 2013
    Thanks, that's great to hear. We have a 579 pete now, not sure if we're going to buy it out and bring it. It's like a 15k difference from what swift will want at the time we want to buy it out to just buy a new truck, lol.

I love this truck and I've taken good care of it. Oil changes every 30k, it gets washed once a week, and I installed those crossfires on the tandems to keep my tire wear even and my pressures where I want them. Plus it makes my pre trip a whole bunch easier!

My dad is selling his 2006 transcraft eagle II with a dump valve on one axle. Chain pulls, and whatnot already installed....may get it off him if he's still trying to sell when I come over next year.

9. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    You need to read the others threads here under the mercer heading. You may not realize it but you probably ticked off one of the smartest guys here about making money. He actually gave you solid advice, not what you wanted to hear, but good advice , nonetheless. I might suggest toning it down a notch, flick thAT chip off your shoulder, read more info under this mercer heading.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  10. spectacle13

Oct 19, 2013
    It's funny, I have actually browsed quite a few threads here under mercer, I tend to do that before I post to make sure I'm not asking something that has been answered a hundred times before.

I've seen his posts in other threads and was actually baffled at the ####ty attitude he decided to take with me.
    I've been able to converse with every one else here in a civil manner, and tried to have a conversation about what to expect, and yet he couldn't seem to do it. It's not about what I wanted to hear, I know that true O/O don't look at miles for the week, but rather revenue for the week.

I was asking about length of haul and miles per week for a completely different reason than to base my income off of it, but he saw what he wanted to see....which was a new driver who doesn't know anything that he needed to have an attitude with, so I don't apologize for anything I said, because I'm not the one who brought the condescending crap to the table.

As far as a chip on my shoulder, yeah....I'm pretty sure any new driver that comes into the industry has a chip on their shoulder because 90% of "the veteran truckers" hate us and think we're what is ruining this industry, so they treat us like kindergarten students, or something they scraped off their shoe.

It's amazing to me that this is one of the only industries where the people who should be mentoring the incoming people into the industry , instead treat them with disgust and ridicule. When this is the industry that needs a sense of brotherhood the most! This is the industry where drivers should have each others' back and push together for better wages and rates....yet, they don't....for most it's make way for number one and keep the cloak and dagger secret good paying freight close to your chest lest someone else should get it!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    CorsairFanboy Thanks this.
  11. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    popcorn

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.