mercer transportation

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by kw12, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Mr huds

Mr huds Medium Load Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Briggsville AR

You aren't to bad and slow months you can catch loads out of Texarkana to Lancaster if you don't mind DH down us71 your not to far from me I'm in Briggsville

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    You only need 2 if you have dual stacks. A lot of places will have you tarp the last bundle on the ground cause the don't want you 13 feet up in the air. In those situations you need 2 smoke tarps.

HalpinUout Thanks this.
  4. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    So sounds like regardless, just get 2 :) Will do.

5. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Yes if you have dual smoke stacks you need 2. If you have a grass burner or single stack you need 1. Even grass burners need 1 on occasion for some tall plastic wrapped loads to keep the wind from tearing the plastic off.

HalpinUout Thanks this.
  6. jccwall

jccwall Light Load Member

Apr 15, 2011
    tulsa / stillwater, okla
    Question regarding gear ratio. Am planning on switching trucks soon.
    Haven't decided on what i'm getting yet. Kinda leaning towards a Peterbuilt. But a kw or a Freightliner are also possibilities. Pulling a flat and not planning on doing any heavy haul. MPG is my primary concern, but don't want to go so far as to not have a decent amount of pulling power.
    Suggestions?

7. bigred81

bigred81 Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2013
    I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions, but any dealer can run projections for you and show the difference between different driveline components.

8. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Check out the new volvos they made it so you can lift the front axle... I've seen some of the new volvos getting 9mpg doing 68mph.. Then put a lift on the trailer. The roi on the lift of a trailer will be about 1.5 years. You would be surprise how much mpg you will gain with less axles down.

9. jccwall

jccwall Light Load Member

Apr 15, 2011
    tulsa / stillwater, okla
    I'm actually kinda leary of the volvos, due to the price tag on them and the general cost of repairs.

10. stormin_norman66

stormin_norman66 Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2012
    I finally finished this thred Very informative I've learned a lot. Ran into TruckerPete1990 Friday night at the Pilot in Indiana and his pos extra trailer. Planning on making move next spring. Save a little more money should have about 25k by then and about that much avlb credit if needed. I've just got to decide wether I want a pre emissions truck or get a newer emissions truck no older than a2014.
    I'm I company driver for 22 yrs I went to Iraq in 05-06 and drove a flatbed for KBR and loved other then the getting shot at part and IED'S
    When I came home tried LJ Kenadey but there just wasn't a good fit so I went ack to my old company here in Ohio
    They are the core carrier for Crown forklifts. They've been good to me but I just want to do my own thing
    The main reason I want to be an owner operator is freedom. I will be totally debt free in about 3 years so I want to use this as a money making rv for me and wife
    The reason I want come to Mercer is to serve our young Hero's in the armed forces I love being around them makes me feel 20 again when I was in.

11. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    You can put a lift or tag axle on any truck. Volvo is just the most recently one pushing it in marketing.

jccwall Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.